Can InfoPath 2003 Service Pack 1 or 2 modified for developers?

G

G. Tarazi

Hi

This are some of the problems that we face, we have more than one developer using Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 with Microsoft InfoPath 2003 SP1 Preview.

1- The preview release does not work with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, well it works until you specify the external connection, and then it does not add all the files to SourceSafe.

Temporary in our project we use a custom script + NANT to work around this issue.

2- In a multi user development environment (VS.NET 2003 / IP2003SP1), there is more than one user who have a local copy from the form to work on, but because the InfoPath is saving the path internally, there is a problem opening the same form from multiple users.

Temporary in our project we use another custom script + NANT to work around this issue.

3- In our project, there is a solution (independent from the InfoPath solution), the solution have multiple projects and one web service, when that solution is used by multiple users, each user will have a local copy of that web service on the web server itself (Default by IIS. VS.NET VSS), this means that each user has it's own copy (virtual directory) on IIS, and this is happening automatically by SourceSafe.

Now what about the InfoPath project that is connected to the web service? It stays connected to the main web service, not to the one used by the developer! And that makes debugging (a submit operation) something not that pleasant :) I do debug against the main web server, and that is slowing it down significantly, and preventing the other developers of doing some other work at the same time.

I can find a work around against this, but it will mean that I must write a ton of code to try to modify the connections internally :) "actually I may try to do that"

Finally, and that is a complicated one, you must find a way to have more than one developer modifying the InfoPath Form/Code from VS.Net at the same time :) "in the future releases of course", we use InfoPath just because of the large size of the form, in Windows Forms the form size is not that big, so one developer can work on one form, while the other developers work in other forms, but with the InfoPath form, it can be the size of 10 or 20 normal Windows Forms, there will be more than one developer required to work on it at the same time, I don't have any idea how this can happen :) "it can be divided in sections, section check in / check out, or any other way" just have it in mind for the future InfoPath.

It must support multiple developers :)

Thank you

Ask a Question