Can't Send Messages Until I Press F9 Key

E

editprod

After I compose a message and click Send, the message does go its way
until I press F9 or choose Tools|Send/Receive. I'm using Outlook 2003 on
Windows XP. In case it matters, there's a toolbar for ZoneAlrm Outlook
Addin with Junk filters (I use the Zone lite firewall freebie). Is there
a setting in Outlook I need to set to automatically send messages?
Should I disable the Zone addin? If so, how?

Thanks.

N

neo [mvp outlook]

Bring up your send/receive settings (ctrl + alt + s) and check the boxes at the bottom about send/receive every "X" minutes. (fwiw, i wouldn't go less than five)

Might also want to check Tools > Options > Mail Setup. Box next to send/receive settings about sending messages immediately when connected.

After I compose a message and click Send, the message does go its way until I press F9 or choose Tools|Send/Receive. I'm using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. In case it matters, there's a toolbar for ZoneAlrm Outlook Addin with Junk filters (I use the Zone lite firewall freebie). Is there a setting in Outlook I need to set to automatically send messages? Should I disable the Zone addin? If so, how?

Thanks.

N

neo [mvp outlook]

My motto is if the wheel ain't broke, don't fix it. So if you are happy with the results ZA gives you, keep using it.

Thanks, that works. I was accustomed to a near-instant send/receive interval from my workplace (to co-workers on the same MS Exchange mail server) and Eudora, the mail client at home from which I'm migrating. Perhaps Eudora's send settings are shorter intervals.

I assume, then, the Zone firewall's Spam add-on is worth keeping if it is not slowing recognizably legit mail.

neo [mvp outlook] wrote:

Bring up your send/receive settings (ctrl + alt + s) and check the boxes at the bottom about send/receive every "X" minutes. (fwiw, i wouldn't go less than five)

Might also want to check Tools > Options > Mail Setup. Box next to send/receive settings about sending messages immediately when connected.

After I compose a message and click Send, the message does go its way until I press F9 or choose Tools|Send/Receive. I'm using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. In case it matters, there's a toolbar for ZoneAlrm Outlook Addin with Junk filters (I use the Zone lite firewall freebie). Is there a setting in Outlook I need to set to automatically send messages? Should I disable the Zone addin? If so, how?

Thanks.

Ask a Question