Little, Brown Essential Handbook" by Jane E Aaron, 5th Edition, published by
Pearson Longman.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...d&dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors

B

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Historian,

I'm assuming you're referring to the Citation field in the document text rather than the Bibliography formatting in this case?

The formatting of the citations isn't my area of expertise, however, you can customize (although not necessarily easily as Microsoft
has not yet released the bibliography Software Development Kit [SDK] for Office 2007 that was announced in July 2006).

The Word 2007 bibliography feature set is built on XML, which is, 'by definition' customizable and extensible <g>, so perhaps with
your help and the help of others who read/post here we may find a way to achieve or at least approach the results you're looking to
use and in doing that we may all learn a bit more about this feature's needs, behaviors and extensibility :) If nothing else we may
be able to pass along changes/enhancements that MS may need to address.

So, following your suggestion, I went to what I would assume to be a good source for the Chicago style sheet, the online Chicago
Manual of Style and specifically to this page
http://chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
As I understand that page, there are two Chicago documentation formats/systems, is that correct?

In the 3rd paragraph it mentions that citations for the 'author-date system ' it mentions that citations are cited in text "usually
in parentheses), and as that what Word 2007 appears to do with a citation when you use Reference tab=>Insert Citation, I'm assuming
that it's the 'author-date' usage being applied in Word 2007. Is it that differentiation and having just 'Chicago' in the
Bibliography style list in Word 2007 that is an issue between expectation and experience in using the feature? Perhaps you can
walk us through to see if/how another style or style update can be made available in the product.

================
The Chicago citation and bibliography format for Word 2007 is wrong. I just
spent 3 hours cutting and pasting and reformatting entries to fit the Chicago
citation format used for Humanities writing. Parenthetical Citations are a
No Go for history grad students. I bought Word 2007 for the Citation
function and It doesn't use the correct format. Microsoft needs to consult
better experts for the citation entries. For starters I recommend "The
Pearson Longman. >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

E

Enzo Francescoli

Yes that's right. There are two ways one can cite in Chicago style: one is used mainly in humanities, and one is used mainly in the sciences. Word can only do the style used in sciences, and has no option for the other style, which is IMMENSELY frustrating and a gross oversight. Thank you very much.

Bob Buckland ?:-\) wrote:

Hi Historian,I'm assuming you're referring to the Citation field in the
31-Mar-08

Hi Historian

I'm assuming you're referring to the Citation field in the document text rather than the Bibliography formatting in this case

The formatting of the citations isn't my area of expertise, however, you can customize (although not necessarily easily as Microsof
has not yet released the bibliography Software Development Kit [SDK] for Office 2007 that was announced in July 2006)

The Word 2007 bibliography feature set is built on XML, which is, 'by definition' customizable and extensible <g>, so perhaps wit
your help and the help of others who read/post here we may find a way to achieve or at least approach the results you're looking t
use and in doing that we may all learn a bit more about this feature's needs, behaviors and extensibility :) If nothing else we ma
be able to pass along changes/enhancements that MS may need to address

So, following your suggestion, I went to what I would assume to be a good source for the Chicago style sheet, the online Chicag
Manual of Style and specifically to this pag
http://chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.htm
As I understand that page, there are two Chicago documentation formats/systems, is that correct

In the 3rd paragraph it mentions that citations for the 'author-date system ' it mentions that citations are cited in text "usuall
in parentheses), and as that what Word 2007 appears to do with a citation when you use Reference tab=>Insert Citation, I'm assumin
that it's the 'author-date' usage being applied in Word 2007. Is it that differentiation and having just 'Chicago' in th
Bibliography style list in Word 2007 that is an issue between expectation and experience in using the feature? Perhaps you ca
walk us through to see if/how another style or style update can be made available in the product

===============
The Chicago citation and bibliography format for Word 2007 is wrong. I jus
spent 3 hours cutting and pasting and reformatting entries to fit the Chicag
citation format used for Humanities writing. Parenthetical Citations are
No Go for history grad students. I bought Word 2007 for the Citatio
function and It doesn't use the correct format. Microsoft needs to consul
better experts for the citation entries. For starters I recommend "Th
Little, Brown Essential Handbook" by Jane E Aaron, 5th Edition, published b
Pearson Longman. >
--

Bob Buckland ?:-
MS Office System Products MV

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Citation Format for Word 2007
Pearson Longman

---------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...d&dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors

-\) wrote:

Hi Historian,I'm assuming you're referring to the Citation field in the
Hi Historian,

I'm assuming you're referring to the Citation field in the document text rather than the Bibliography formatting in this case?

The formatting of the citations isn't my area of expertise, however, you can customize (although not necessarily easily as Microsoft
has not yet released the bibliography Software Development Kit [SDK] for Office 2007 that was announced in July 2006).

The Word 2007 bibliography feature set is built on XML, which is, 'by definition' customizable and extensible <g>, so perhaps with
your help and the help of others who read/post here we may find a way to achieve or at least approach the results you're looking to
use and in doing that we may all learn a bit more about this feature's needs, behaviors and extensibility :) If nothing else we may
be able to pass along changes/enhancements that MS may need to address.

So, following your suggestion, I went to what I would assume to be a good source for the Chicago style sheet, the online Chicago
Manual of Style and specifically to this page
http://chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
As I understand that page, there are two Chicago documentation formats/systems, is that correct?

In the 3rd paragraph it mentions that citations for the 'author-date system ' it mentions that citations are cited in text "usually
in parentheses), and as that what Word 2007 appears to do with a citation when you use Reference tab=>Insert Citation, I'm assuming
that it's the 'author-date' usage being applied in Word 2007. Is it that differentiation and having just 'Chicago' in the
Bibliography style list in Word 2007 that is an issue between expectation and experience in using the feature? Perhaps you can
walk us through to see if/how another style or style update can be made available in the product.

================
Pearson Longman. >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Screen.MousePointer = hand in VB 6.0
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9b6-8610d3712835/screenmousepointer--han.aspx

Ask a Question