Continuation of PowerPoint Narration Recording Issue

J

jigordon

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

This post is to get an update on the PowerPoint Narration Recording issue that I posted back in September.

The problem still exists, even though Microsoft AND Apple have both introduced updates to PowerPoint, QuickTime and iTunes in the last month or so. Whatever any of them did originally hasn't been undone yet. Recordings still truncate at random.

Neither Microsoft, Apple nor Logitech have ever been of further help. Each one points to the other as the root cause. I sat on the phone with all three for hours ... Microsoft even elevated it up at least one level. But ultimately, the PowerPoint/Office team decided that it was an Apple-caused problem and that they wouldn't investigate further.

In doing my research on this subject, it really appears that it's a Microsoft issue and ONLY as it relates to using a USB microphone (it's been awhile since I played with it extensively, but I believe I can get narrations to properly record using the built-in microphone on my MacBook).

My work-around is to use a screen capturing tool called SnapzPro to record everything. Works well, but not as flexible as from within Powerpoint.

I came up with a test case procedure on how to test to see if it ever gets fixed. I go through the "Record Narration" process... with a set amount of time for each of 5 slides: 10 sec, 30 sec, 2 min, 5 min, 30 sec.

I don't say much of anything during the recording... just advance the slides as each set time elapses.

Then, when the recording of the 5 slides is through (regardless of how many slides are in the deck), I stop the narration process and then say "Yes" to viewing the slide-sorter view with the timings listed below each slide.

I keep hoping for the day when the VERY closely match (within a second or two) of the timing I did for each of them.

Ask a Question