Custom Lists

C

cdb

How do I create a custom list that I can use within an Excel sheet to select from a range of constants? (Like the Pick From List drop down box

e.g. In the table below, Applicant No and Name will always be variable, but the Recruiter Name will just be a constant list of staff who deal with the applicants - how do I just get a drop down bow for these recruiters instead of having to type them in

Applicant No Applicant Name Recruiter Nam
1 Fred Joh
2 Joan Joh
3 Arthur Steve

J

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Cdb,
How do I create a custom list that I can use within an Excel sheet to select from a range of constants? (Like the Pick From List drop down box)

e.g. In the table below, Applicant No and Name will always be variable, but the Recruiter Name will just be a constant list of staff who deal with the applicants - how do I just get a drop down bow for these recruiters instead of having to type them in?

Use Data, validation and select the List option. In the bottom textbox enter the location of the list to choose from.
If the list is on another worksheet, select the range containing the list first, give it a name
(insert, name, define) and then go back to the cell that needs the dropdown.
Now in the validation screen enter =TheNameYouGave as the source.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

C

cdb

Many Thanks - that's worked grea

----- Jan Karel Pieterse wrote: ----

Hi Cdb
How do I create a custom list that I can use within an Excel sheet to select from a range of constants? (Like the Pick From List drop down box

Use Data, validation and select the List option. In the bottom textbox enter the location of the list to choose from
If the list is on another worksheet, select the range containing the list first, give it a nam
(insert, name, define) and then go back to the cell that needs the dropdown
Now in the validation screen enter =TheNameYouGave as the source

Regards

Jan Karel Pieters
Excel MV
www.jkp-ads.co

Ask a Question