Date formats in ledger sheets

N

natubat

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I am in Scotland, and I am trying to use the Legder Sheets in Excel for the first time. However the system insists on changing all dates to the mm/dd/yyyy format, even though I have instructed it to use UK English and I have restarted the system several times when doing this.

Is there any way to get it to use the dd/mm/yyyy format? For me, using the other system would be like doing my accounts in a different language.

Also, it insists on changing all £ signs to $ signs. Can anyone advise on this?

C

CyberTaz

What are your current settings in System Preferences> International? Excel
takes it's cue for both defaults from there each time you launch the
program.

N

natubat

Thanks for your reply.

I checked System Preferences and in the Language settings it was set to English Standard. In the Formats it was set to English, yet the date was in the US order, ie mm/dd/yyyy. I ticked "Customize" and changed it to the dd/mm/yyyy order and then restarted.

When I then went back into Excel and tried to enter the date in the UK style, ie, 28/07/2008, I got the message: "The value to be entered must be a date greater than or equal to 10201904." This message occurs whether I enter "28th July 2008", 28/07/08 or any other variation.

X

XinXin

Can you please go preferences -> international -> click on the "Formats" tab -> and verify the Region dropdown box? It should be set to your region rather than "united states".

XinXin Liu
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

N

natubat

Yes - I have done this, and the setting was "United Kingdom" - however the date was still in the US format (mm/dd/yyyy).

To get the date to change to the UK format (dd/mm/yyyy) I had to change it to "customize" but this still hasn't helped - I now get error messages every time I try to enter the date in the UK format.

X

XinXin

Hi, we can repro this issue on 12.2.1, and are investigating it. Thanks for reporting it! Meanwhile, a workaround is to use a list (you can find it on the insert menu) instead of a ledger sheet. Thanks!

XinXin Liu
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ask a Question