Distrbution list error

D

drsamdds

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

When I create a distribution list by making a new group in Entourage mail, either by typing the name in or clicking it in the "drop down"list, even if it only has 2 names in it, I get a "5.5.2 Syntax error" message when I attempt to send it. Help please

drsamdds

A

Adam Bailey

When I create a distribution list by making a new group in Entourage mail,
either by typing the name in or clicking it in the "drop down"list, even if
it only has 2 names in it, I get a "5.5.2 Syntax error" message when I
attempt to send it. Help please

That error suggests that there's something wrong with one of the
addresses in the group. Look for illegal characters, commas, or spaces.

D

drsamdds

I tried a 1 entry group with my wife's email by typing it , and again by selecting it from the drop down list ( which inserts it with the name in brackets).I also tried to send one with my office address, and got the same message. These addresses work just fine when typed or selected into a single email. Please explain the steps to do a distribution list, in case I have missed something in the settings help files. Thanks SWS DDS

D

Diane Ross

I tried a 1 entry group with my wife's email by typing it , and again by
selecting it from the drop down list ( which inserts it with the name in
brackets).I also tried to send one with my office address, and got the same
message. These addresses work just fine when typed or selected into a single
email. Please explain the steps to do a distribution list, in case I have
missed something in the settings help files. Thanks SWS DDS

Can you post a fake example of an entry?

B

Barry Wainwright

I tried a 1 entry group with my wife's email by typing it , and again by selecting it from the drop down list ( which inserts it with the name in brackets).I also tried to send one with my office address, and got the same message. These addresses work just fine when typed or selected into a single email. Please explain the steps to do a distribution list, in case I have missed something in the settings help files. Thanks SWS DDS

instead of typing an address in, drag a contact from the address book
listing into the group window - this way, the entry in he group is
linked to the original contact entry. If you edit the contact entry, the
group is automatically updated. When you type an address, this link is
not created (and you run the risk of a typo ruining things)

D

drsamdds

Problem Solved. My Son -in-law noticed that entourage said "3 recipients" when in fact I had only entered 2 in my test group. In Groups (but not in regular email), the next address line remains when the group window is closed, unless it is removed by clicking the previous address line. (Entourage doesn't ignore the blank line or remove it as it does in the individual email address entry box when it is closed). I wonder why they left those few lines of code, that would allow a blank field to be ignored,off of the group address selection box? SWS

M

Michel Bintener

Nice detective work. Be sure to let Microsoft know by clicking on Help>Send
Feedback about Entourage!

Ask a Question