Email Links not working for Outlook 98 with Windows 2000

G

Gary Smith

Roady,

Thank you again for responding. I am late in responding back to you because I have been out of pocket on business away from the home computer.

I already have Version 6 SP1 of Internet Explorer, plus 3 additional updates. Are you suggesting that I uninstall IE & then reinstall it? I will do that if that is your recommendation. I just want to make sure before I go that far. I have even thought about uninstalling Outlook 98 & reinstalling it but I thought I better seek your advice first.

Based on a suggestion you gave to another contributor to the discussion I temporarily disabled both Zone Alarm (it has a Pop-up Blocker) & Norton AntiVirus. This did not help.

I trust you had a safe & merry Christmas with your family. I wish you the best for 2004. Your continued advice, input & assistance to resolve this problem are greatly appreciated.
Gary Smith / Dec 30, 03
------------------
Hi Gary,

Could you mention your version of Internet Explorer? Try an update/reinstall of Internet Explorer 6SP1.

Roady / Dec 16, 03
www.sparnaaij.net
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...

Questions of the month:
- Color Code Your Email Advanced
- Add Sound To Your Email

Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox !
------------------
Roady,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

In Internet Options my default mail program is Microsoft Outlook. Outlook 98 is not one of the 3 choices. The other 2 choices are Hotmail & Outlook Express.

When I entered mailto: (e-mail address removed) in Start / Run, the same thing happened, ie, even though Outlook 98 was already opened, it opened again without going to a New Mail Message. Extremely frustrating.

I also went to your website & followed the instructions under “How Toâ€, “Open link from Outlook in new windowâ€. When I executed regedt32, I found it very interesting that there was no AllowWindowReuse command in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Could this be my problem (& also KSB’s)?

Your advice, input & assistance to resolve this problem are greatly appreciated.
Gary Smith / Dec 15, 03
------------------
Hi Gary,

Could you check the following?
- Is in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> Programs the default mail program Outlook 98?
- What happen when you use Start-> Run and type: mailto:[email protected]

Roady / Dec 15, 03
------------------

I used to be able to click on website email links that would open Outlook 98’s New Mail Message Window with the “To†automatically filled in with the email address from the link. I somehow recently lost this capability and desire to reset whatever control I can so that I once again send emails to those who supply “email linksâ€. Currently when I click on one of these links (even if Outlook 98 is already open), Outlook 98 opens to the Inbox and then nothing else happens. Please advise what I need to do to correct this problem.

Please note that KSB has already reported this problem on Dec 13 with the subject text “Roady, Please help me.†I elected to report it again with the above subject line to give this “common problem†more coverage.

To whoever responds, thank you in advance for your assistance.
Gary Smith / Dec 14, 03

Ask a Question