Error adding spreadsheets in an Excel 08 workbook

R

redough

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have a fairly complex excel workbook that is giving me a problem. Here is what happens:
1. I create a copy of an existing spreadsheet within the workbook. I don't add any additional information to the spreadsheet, I simply copy it.
2. I save the workbook.
3. I exit Excel.
4. When I try to double click on the workbook to reopen it, I get an error and it won't open.

Any Ideas?

L

LuvGod1st

I have a fairly complex excel workbook that is giving me a problem. Here is what happens:
1. I create a copy of an existing spreadsheet within the workbook. I don't add any additional information to the spreadsheet, I simply copy it.
2. I save the workbook.
3. I exit Excel.
4. When I try to double click on the workbook to reopen it, I get an error and it won't open.

Any Ideas?

When you are pasting the information, are you doing a simple paste or are you "pasting special"? If you are doing the simple paste, try the "Paste Special". Within here, you can pick and choose what you want to paste - for example, if you have a formula in the cell, and you want to cut and paste the value of that formula into another cell, you would have to "Paste special" >> Value

C

CyberTaz

I'm not sure why you're using copy/paste in the first place. It's a rather
limited utility function of the operating system & using it for complex
sheet content may very well be causing corruption.

Have you tried using Edit> Move or Copy Sheet [which can also be accessed by
Ctrl/Right-Clicking the sheet tab]?

Additionally, if you simply need to be able to insert new sheets based on a
certain layout/formatting/calculations but without any data there may very
well be better ways to go about it, such as the Help topic:

Add a custom sheet to the Elements Gallery

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

R

redough

Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid I was not very clear in my original post.
1. I am running Mac Office 2008 V12.1.9
2. The way I am copying the spreadsheet is as follows:
a. I click on the tab and select Move or copy
b. A screen comes up where I check a box that says create a copy. I select to place the sheet at the end of the workbook.
c. The sheet then appears at the last sheet in my workbook.

3. At this point, I perform a "save as" and save the workbook under a new name.
4. I exit excel
5. I double click on the icon for the workbook I just saved to open it.
6. I get a error that says: "Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format."

I hope this is a little clearer. Again, any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Richard

L

LuvGod1st

I've run across this before too, and I think my problem was although I was saving it, I wasn't saving it as an .xlsx (if I remember correctly I was saving as a .xls - which I didn't think should make a difference). If you're still having problems, try that - hope it helps :)

R

redough

Thanks for the tip, LuvGod1st. I tried saving it in xlsx format, but I got a warning saying my embedded macros would not work. So, I saved it in the xlsm format. I will try that for a while and see if the problem reappears as the original problem itself was intermittent.

Ask a Question