Form Field Calculations

P

Pluvius

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hello,
I'm creating a Purchase Order Form in Word 2004 on my Macbook Pro running 10.4.11.

I'm trying to have the form do a simple multiplication calculation of two fields -> Total = Number of Units * Price
however, the calculation never seems to work - I've followed the WORD HELP, and ensured that the "calculate on exit" is checked on the "Total" field, but it just doesn't work...

What I'm doing wrong?
Thx for the help!!

M

macropod

Hi Pluvius,

Instead of a formfield, try using an ordinary formula field coded as:
{=Units*Price}
where 'Units' and 'Price' are the formfield bookmark names.

P

Pluvius

Hi Thx for the reply!

I tried the recommendation but the Total field (using formula instead of a field form) still doesn't get updated after tabbing through the Units & Price fields and adding the numbers...I'm using form fields for the Units & Price is this correct?

The only way I've been able to get the Total field to update is by unlocking the doc and then clicking the Total field - is there a way to make the Total field to update automatically?

thx again - I really appreciate the help!
Hi Pluvius,

{=Units*Price}

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hello,
I'm creating a Purchase Order Form in Word 2004 on my Macbook Pro running 10.4.11.

I'm trying to have the form do a simple multiplication calculation of two fields -> Total = Number of Units * Price
however, the calculation never seems to work - I've followed the WORD HELP, and ensured that the "calculate on exit" is checked on
the "Total" field, but it just doesn't work...

What I'm doing wrong?
Thx for the help!!

P

Peter Jamieson

<<
and ensured that the "calculate on exit" is checked on the "Total"
field, but it just doesn't work...
Just in case there is any misuderstanding, the "calculate on exit" box
also needs to be checked for the other two fields (Total No of Units,
and Price) (which are the ones you are actually likely to "Exit"

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

P

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Unlock the document?? word can't make any changes in a locked document.

Hi Thx for the reply!

I tried the recommendation but the Total field (using formula instead of a field form) still doesn't get updated after tabbing through the Units & Price fields and adding the numbers...I'm using form fields for the Units & Price is this correct?

The only way I've been able to get the Total field to update is by unlocking the doc and then clicking the Total field - is there a way to make the Total field to update automatically?

Hi Pluvius,

{=Units*Price}

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hello,

however, the calculation never seems to work - I've followed the WORD HELP, and ensured that the "calculate on exit" is checked on

What I'm doing wrong?
Thx for the help!!

M

macropod

Hi Phillip,

Where 'locked' refers to a document protected for forms, as described in this thread, you can edit/update formfields and unprotected
Sections of the document.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Phillip Jones said:
Unlock the document?? word can't make any changes in a locked document.

Hi Thx for the reply!

I tried the recommendation but the Total field (using formula instead of a field form) still doesn't get updated after tabbing
through the Units & Price fields and adding the numbers...I'm using form fields for the Units & Price is this correct?

The only way I've been able to get the Total field to update is by unlocking the doc and then clicking the Total field - is there
a way to make the Total field to update automatically?

Hi Pluvius,

{=Units*Price}

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

wrote in message Version: 2004

Hello,

however, the calculation never seems to work - I've followed the WORD HELP, and ensured that the "calculate on exit" is checked
on

What I'm doing wrong?
Thx for the help!!

P

Pluvius

Hi Peter,
That was the missing ingredient - now the form works perfect.
Thank you, Macropod and everyone for your help!
- Pluvius

Ask a Question