Formula result not displaying after editing VLOOKUP syntax

I

icarus101

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm seeing a strange (and frustrating) behavior in which Excel displays only the formula in a particular cell, not the result of the formula.

Let me start by saying that in Preferences, I have Calculation set to Automatic and 'Show formulas' toggled off.

In my spreadsheet I've entered a simple (that is, not dependent on an IF or any other conditions) VLOOKUP function that refers to a named table array. The first columns are in ascending order, both in the named table array and the table in which my lookup values appear.

My statement is basically "=VLOOKUP(A2,,2,0)", and that returns the correct value I expect.

However, things get weird if I edit my formula. If I click back into my formula, change the lookup value to an absolute reference ($A2) - no other changes - and hit return, Excel switches to displaying the syntax of the formula itself, not the result. Toggling with Control + ` is neither causing this nor fixing it.

I would describe myself as an advanced Excel user, but this has me stumped (and pretty irritated). Any help would be most welcome!

Ask a Question