Getting document name or path not valid msg

Q

Quique

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I get a document name or path is not valid. Try one or more of the following: check the path to make sure it was typed correctly; on the file menu click open, search for the file using this dialog box.

I have tried the disk utility to no avail. This began happening with OS X updates (2 updates ago). If I follow from earlier postings, I should re-install office. Is this correct? I use Entourage and do not want to loose the emails as well as the word documents. Can I safely remove with the Remove Office Tool and then reinstall? Will I still have the saved emails and inbox? Do I have to go back and set up the email boxes?

Any other solutions, like just removing Word and just reinstalling it?

Thanks...

J

John McGhie

I need to know precisely what steps you take to get that error message.

Normally, it means that there is nothing at all wrong with Word, but that
you are trying to open a file from the Most recently Used List (Open Recent)
and the file has been moved.

If you follow the instructions in the dialog, you will probably find your
file. All it means is that you clicked an alias that is pointing to a place
where the file is NOT. Have you been moving stuff around on your system?

Cheers

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I get
a document name or path is not valid. Try one or more of the following: check
the path to make sure it was typed correctly; on the file menu click open,
search for the file using this dialog box.

I have tried the disk utility to no avail. This began happening with OS X
updates (2 updates ago). If I follow from earlier postings, I should
re-install office. Is this correct? I use Entourage and do not want to loose
the emails as well as the word documents. Can I safely remove with the Remove
Office Tool and then reinstall? Will I still have the saved emails and inbox?
Do I have to go back and set up the email boxes?

Any other solutions, like just removing Word and just reinstalling it?

Thanks...

This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless you intend to pay!

Q

Quique

Dear John, I occurs when I have a word file that is on "downloads" and then I save to another folder. I am a professor, so students submit papers and exams on word. I download and grade on word. I download the file, save it to the class folder, then open to grade. After grading a few pages I get the message and I loose the ability to open the document. I have tried everything under the sun--including reinstalling word; other files I transfer or ones I create on different folders are ok. I still get the error after retrieving documents from the downloads folder. I can open the document on text program, but even if I use a Windows computer to open the file it only opens the first pages and the others have been deleted. This has happened since Jan. Now I just download and use the Windows computer to do the grading. However, I would like to ensure that I can trust the word files downloaded into "downloads" and I will not loose them. It seems that the problem is when I open and work on a document that has been downloaded to "downloads." Even after changing name, directory, and folder--does not matter the changes I do, still will stop working midway to the document and will give me the message.

An help is kindly appreciated...

Q

Ask a Question