Set as Default Template not working

Reaction score
I transitioned from Windows 7 to Windows 11, and from Office 2010 to Office 2021 Pro. Having a difficult time! I'll post a couple other issues separately.

I created a blank document with my preferred margins and font, then saved it as MyBlank.dotx. I'd like that template to open by default whenever I open Word, but the instructions I've found online do not match what I see in my version of Word.

Found these instructions:
  • From the main menu, choose File > Templates > Organize. The Template Management window opens.
  • In the box on the left, double-click the folder containing the template that you want to set as the default.
  • Click the template that you want to set as the default.
  • Click the Commands button.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose Set As Default Template. The next time that you create a document by choosing File > New, the document will be created from this template.
When I click File, there is no Templates > Organize, and I can't find a Template Manager. What I do see is:
  • Blank document
  • MyBlank
  • Welcome to Word [would like to remove that; is there a way?]
  • Single spaced (blank)
  • and a link to More templates.
If I single-click or double-click my template, it of course opens. If I close and reopen Word, I'm back to square one with the built-in Word template, not MY template. I see no way to select my template as a default.

Please help. Thanks.

Ask a Question