How to add phone extensions

W

wingnut

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

Hi,

I'm syncing an Entourage address book with my iPhone. I've tried several different ways of writing phone extensions (for example "X-1234" and ",-1234" and ",x-1234"). Regardless of the approach, though, my iPhone wants to dial all the numbers in the string, including the extensions. This really confuses some phone systems. I then need to manually call those numbers.

What is the proper way to write an extension so it won't be automatically included in the outgoing number?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul H.

F

flatlands

Hi Paul,

You need to insert a lower case "p" before the extension number, so your address book number might look like this: (123) 456-7890 p 123

the iPhone will pause a few seconds after dialing the first ten digits are dialed then dial each digit in the extension for 1 to 2 seconds per digit.

Now what I need is a script to change all the "ext.", "x" and other extension indicators I have in my 2,000 plus contacts to just plain lower case "p"....

W

wingnut

Thanks for your help, flatlands. I really appreciate it. Fortunately, I don't have quite as many contacts as you - a mere 400 - but changing those extensions will still take some time.

Good luck with your post about scripting that task.

Paul

F

flatlands

Hi Paul,

After posting my original reply I've found that adding a comma "," will give the same pause as "p".

Ask a Question