How to repeat text in two separate text boxes.

Reaction score
I'm using Word 2013. I'm trying to create a permission form for students that can be cut in half so the parents keep the top half. I'm putting a text box in each half of the sheet and want the text I type in the first text box to be repeated in the second one. Thank you for any help with this.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Those don't work that way. You could instead use a single-cell table, which you can bookmark, then cross-reference wherever you want to replicate it. Do note that cross-references require an action like Ctrl-A, F9 or a print preview to update.

Reaction score
I did exactly this sort of thing in Excel, and it works trivially there.

Design your form in the upper half of the page.
Copy it to the lower half - the lines, borders, spacing, etc., NOT the contents.
Organize it so that, for example, Cell a1 = "Name", and cell A2 can be filled in with (e.g.) John Smith.

Then, in the lower half of the page, starting, perhaps in row M,
Cell M1 contains: =A1
Cell M2 contains: =A2

Then M1 would contain "Name" (you could just type "Name", here, but, doing it this way means that, if you decide to change the form (Name -> Nom to support your Spanish students), you don't have to retype M1, it just automatically "learns" from A1.

And, of course, M2 would be John Smith.

You could do something similar in Word, but it is a LOT more tedious to set up, involves bookmarks and manual updating, etc. Odds are pretty good that, if you have Word, you also have Excel, and it's straightforward in Excel.

By the way, in my case, filling in one form actually filled in additional forms on additional sheets in the same workbook. In my case, one form was used as label for the "thing", and the second form was used by the contest judges for the grading. I just filled it out once, and it automatically flowed to the other four forms. Just an idea.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is a plethora of options for content replication in Word, only some of which require bookmarks and/or manual updating. See, for example: http://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/repeating_data.html. In this case, though, the OP wanted to replicate a textbox - not just its content. You can't bookmark a textbox. My rely aimed at keeping things as simple as possible with the software already being used. Although Excel might have satisfied your needs, its content formatting capabilities, etc. are only a shadow of Word provides. Horses for course, as they say.

Ask a Question