I was told at apple store when I boughtStudent Teacher office 2004 I could upgrade tostudent teacher

B

bengold

I live in the US and purchased a copy of Office '04 in December because I was told that, after I sent in the form they provided, I'd receive a copy of '08 6-8 weeks after it was released. That sounded pretty good to me, so I went ahead and bought it. I sent in my form on the day 2008 was released.

It's now April 10th, and it wasn't until just April 4th that'd I received any confirmation of my request whatsoever. I called Microsoft in late March to make sure my request wasn't lost in the mail and was told I'd receive an email before April 15th (which I did).

Now the status of my order, which I'm able to check through an online interface, shows that the product is backordered, and today I was given an estimate of April 25 for a ship date. It's not like there aren't any copies of Office '08 out there, either: I could head over to my local Mac store and pick up a copy right now if I wanted.

Not only did Microsoft break their own deadline for getting this software to me, they made me pay a shipping and handling fee for this (surprisingly terrible) service. I've been a Windows user my whole life and just recently bought a Mac for my daughter who's about to head off to college, but I don't think I could be any more dissatisfied with Microsoft as a customer right now. My daughter had a problem with her Mac shortly after we bought it and the support took care of the problem unbelievably quickly and graciously. We had to send in her computer for repairs (which really bothered me because it was new and the problem was due to a defective part), but the computer was delivered to our home two days after we left it at the Apple store (we left it on a Monday and had it back on a Wednesday). Based on my recent experiences with Microsoft and Apple, I think Office '04 may well have been the last Microsoft product I ever purchase.

B

bengold

Now take a look at this laughable message I received. Why would I want to cancel my order?!?! I just want the software I was promised!!

Dear bengold:

Thank you for your recent order. The product listed below is currently out of stock.

Microsoft Corp Order #xxx
Part/Sku #GZA-00042 OFFICE MAC HOME STUDENT 2008 EN DVD

The new expected ship date for your product is 5/1/2008.

If you wish to receive this product, if available by the new expected ship date shown above, NO RESPONSE IS REQUIRED.

If you no longer wish to receive this product, you may cancel your order by responding to this e-mail and placing an X in front of option #1 below or by contacting our customer service department at 1-888-285-6247.

If we are unable to ship this product by the new expected ship date shown, but you wish to receive the product when it becomes available, you may update your order by responding to this e-mail and placing an X in front of option #2 below or by contacting our customer service department at 1-888-285-6247.

To respond to this e-mail communication:
Click the reply button in your e-mail application
Place an X in front of either option #1 or #2
Click the send button in your e-mail application

Please choose from the following by placing an X in front of the desired action:

#1 ___ Please CANCEL MY ORDER and issue a refund, if applicable.

#2 ___ Please SHIP MY ORDER when it becomes available, even if after the new expected ship date. I understand that I may still cancel my order at any time before you ship the product to me by contacting 1-888-285-6247.

This address is the SHIP TO address currently in our records. If your SHIP TO address has been changed or is incorrect, please contact our customer service department at 1-888-285-6247 and a representative will be happy to update your order.

xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft products,
The Microsoft Customer Service Team

Microsoft highly recommends that users with Internet access update their Microsoft software to better protect against viruses and security vulnerabilities. The easiest way to do this is to visit the following website: <http://www.Microsoft.com/protect>

J

JE McGimpsey

Now take a look at this laughable message I received. Why would I want to
cancel my order?!?! I just want the software I was promised!!

Sounds like you'll get it. The offer did say that delivery dates were
based on sufficient inventory to fulfill the demand. Perhaps the demand
was much greater than expected.

Frustrating, I know, but at least they told you it was coming...

I suppose some might cancel their order if they had obtained Office by
other means, but I'd guess that it was included as a standard option in
some boilerplate.

R

radiostarr1

HMM. I see that everyone has the same problem as me. I bought the 04 version in December just to get by until the 08 version came out--something I obviously would not have done if I were not told that I would get the upgrade for free. Obviously there was a huge breach in communication, and the ethical thing for Microsoft to do would be to find a way to fix this. Obviously the point is to prove that we bought it, rather than stole it, and did it shortly before the 08 version came out. Surely there must be another way to do so. If not, can you tell me why not?

J

John McGhie

You really need to take this up with the store you purchased from.

We can only repeat what we have been told:

1) There was a pair of dates between which you had to make the purchase.

2) There was a date before which you had to send the form in.

Since those dates have now passed, the official answer is "No".

But if you were to write to Microsoft (use Help>Send Feedback in any Office
2008 application) and state your case, and you have all the necessary
documentation, they may see things your way.

But if you are asking what the "policy" is, the policy is "Sorry, too late
-- you had to get you form in on time."

Cheers

HMM. I see that everyone has the same problem as me. I bought the 04 version
in December just to get by until the 08 version came out--something I
obviously would not have done if I were not told that I would get the upgrade
for free. Obviously there was a huge breach in communication, and the ethical
thing for Microsoft to do would be to find a way to fix this. Obviously the
point is to prove that we bought it, rather than stole it, and did it shortly
before the 08 version came out. Surely there must be another way to do so. If
not, can you tell me why not?

--

Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia. mailto:[email protected]

J

Jannie

I was wondering if there is a link to see if Microsoft received my upgrade form, because i haven't heard anything back from them yet. I mailed out the form somewhere in January.

D

Diane Ross

Jannie said:
I was wondering if there is a link to see if Microsoft received my upgrade
form, because i haven't heard anything back from them yet. I mailed out the
form somewhere in January.

If you have questions regarding the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Technology
Guarantee or would like to check the status of your order you may call:

***1-888-285-6247***

Customer service hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 10:00 pm EST.

For email support, please email (e-mail address removed) and
allow 48 hours for a response.

Ask a Question