iCal sync does not work in Entourage 2008

G

Grace Ann Gore

I still haven't switched to 2008 because of these syncing issues which I read about here in January. I was just checking back to see if they had been resolved. It looks like they have not. Bummer. Because Entourage 2004 has so many limitations in its calendar I have been using a very simple and cool program (designed by mac users for mac users) that really has helped me. Its called Backpack. I can keep multiple calenders, color coated, send reminders to my iphone (although works with all cell phones via a text message) share calendars and get online calendars such as the NFL schedule. I just subscribe to my Backpack calendar from ical so it syncs perfectly on my desktop. I have Entourage synced with iCal too so nothing gets overlooked from my emails/tasks. I have a Mobile Me account that is keeping it all updated regularly. Until Entourage 2008 syncs correctly I guess I'll wait to upgrade. If any one is frustrated with your calendar limitations I suggest you get a backpack account. Here is a link for a free 30 day trial. <http://www.backpackIT.com/?referrer=GRACEANNGORE> It is so simple and clean. The calendar is what all calendar applications should be like, easy to use and sync. Simple is better. Clean design and ease of use... that's (still) what mac users want Microsoft..hello?

N

NeonBlackJack

Hi everyone, I too am trying to sync my Entourage calendar with Google Calendars by first syncing Google Calendar with iCal and then Entourage with iCal(if there is an easier way, I'd love to know). Syncing Google Calendar to iCal works fine, but I've run into a problem syncing iCal to Entourage. I know that my iCal events need to be in the Entourage calendar in order to appear in Entourage, but I can't move my Google Calendar events. When I try to edit them, the only calendar it lists is itself. Any way to fix this?

Thank you very much.

E

electroscribe118

Still no Palm sync for Entourage 2008! What a disappointing situation.

Try taking it up with MarkSpace software, publishers of the Missing Synch for (various mobile and PDA devices for Mac)

What I want to know is, how do I manually get Entourage to sync to iCal and AddressBook. I know how to set up Sync Services so it will do so, eventually, but I would like to know if there is a button I could push that would cause it to sync now.

L

LordDer

OK, new to the MAC. I have Mobile Me to sync my PC to the cloud and then iCal. iCal to Entourage. Nothing. Read these posts and now know on iCal the events are in the Entourage calendar and not the other three. However, all my PC Outlook 2007 went to Cloud then iCal and are in the default Calendar. Since there is no list view, is there any easy way to change the calendar to Entourage? I have over 7000 events. Do I have to click each one manually?

D

Diane Ross

OK, new to the MAC. I have Mobile Me to sync my PC to the cloud and then iCal.
iCal to Entourage. Nothing. Read these posts and now know on iCal the events
are in the Entourage calendar and not the other three. However, all my PC
Outlook 2007 went to Cloud then iCal and are in the default Calendar. Since
there is no list view, is there any easy way to change the calendar to
Entourage? I have over 7000 events. Do I have to click each one manually?

Just to be clear...you are wanting to move all events in iCal to the
Entourage calendar in iCal.

Moving All Events and Tasks in iCal to Entourage
<https://support.markspace.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kba
rticleid=272>

http://tiny.cc/UewdQ

Cheers and Welcome to Mac! I have a few tips and links posted to help new
users here:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/new2mac/index.html>

G

I can't sync my iCal calendar at all in 2008. I have sync turned in preferences.
It does not show me any options to choose which calendar to sync. Same
on my Macbook. The address book does sync even though that doesn't show
up to. I have tried creating a new identity and I get the same thing.
At the moment this is unusable.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I can't sync my iCal calendar at all in 2008. I have sync turned in
preferences. It does not show me any options to choose which
calendar to sync. Same on my Macbook. The address book does sync
even though that doesn't show up to. I have tried creating a new
identity and I get the same thing. At the moment this is unusable.

it will sync the calendar associated to the default e-mail account. If
it is a POP or IMAP account, it will be the On My COmputer calendar.
If it is an Exchange account, it will be the calendar of this account.

Corentin

C

Calvin Jones

Will Entourage 2008 sync with iPhone? I have synced my iPhone with Outlook,
but would like to work on the Mac side. Thanks!

M

Michel Bintener

Hi Calvin,

Entourage works with the iPhone. The iPhone syncs with Apple's calendar and
address book data, and Entourage can sync to this data as well if you enable
Sync Services in Entourage's preferences.

However, there are a couple of (major) disadvantages: most notably,
categories do not make it across the synchronisation process, and you can
only use one calendar on your iPhone, i.e. the "Entourage" calendar that is
created automatically in iCal to enable the synchronisation process.

See here for more details:

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/01/calendar_synching_between_entourage_
and_ical.html>

As far as contacts are concerned: again, no categories are supported, and
some fields are not supported, either.

As you can see, synching your data between the iPhone and Entourage works,
but the process (and the results) are rudimentary at best.

Will Entourage 2008 sync with iPhone? I have synced my iPhone with Outlook,
but would like to work on the Mac side. Thanks!

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:mac (Entourage & Word)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

D

Damon

Microsoft Sync Services crashes all the time. My Entourage calendar is not syncing with iCal. What can I do to fix the Sync Services issue?

M

Mario

To sync Entourage Calender with with Google Calender you can use CalGoo Connect from Calgoo.com

<http://www.calgoo.com/connect/index.do;jsessionid=A26940CB2934738AB0D522C8B0E7DBE0>

Subscribe free but it's not really a subscription service. It's a desktop app that syncs the Google Calender with iCal. It allows you to choose which iCal calender to sync with, so I choose the Entourage one and magic it works!. Make sure you have the Entourage Sync preferences set to sync with iCal.

Occasionally Entourange get 'lost' in the sync process and all you have to do uncheck the sync in the Entourage preferences and close it down. Then restart Entourage and put the sync setting back on, you will be prompted for the type of sync....then 5- 10 later you are all synced up again.

A free solution that works.

K

Kevin

It's been almost an entire year since this thread started and basic sync is still as much of an issue as day one- read the first few posts, then read the latest few. The MVPs on this forum are well-intentioned but clearly have no ability to make a difference in this product. Feedback to Microsoft has been provided, but still no fixes.

Within hours of installing Mac Office 08, I downgraded to Entourage 04. Many months later I am still cleaning up the mess it wreaked on my devices. I will not approve additional upgrades for the rest of our organization until sync is fixed. (We reached a similar decision regarding Vista and will not approve additional OS upgrades until Windows 7 demonstrates better stability)

All too well I understand the impossibility of pleasing everyone, but when a very capable and well-funded development team is encouraged to focus it's resources in 'improvements' in UI design, then evidential functionality will likely suffer.

Syncing is complex and not trivial to pull off between multiple OSes and numerous applications. However, there are API's defining the elements and processes. And please remember that Mac Office is a Mac product designed to run under Mac OS. The onus is on the developer to follow the host OS guidelines and APIs. Trust me, Microsoft won't support developers or certify products for their platforms that don't follow their rules. Mac Office sync services do not adhere to the defined APIs. Who's the developer, in this case? In a reversal of usual roles, it's Microsoft. They need to follow the rules, or at least break them with no ill effect to the product's functionality.

Cutting thru all the reasons and explanations offered by Microsoft spokespeople and other posters here and elsewhere, what REALLY is the problem here? Why is this still not adequately addressed after more than a year? I tend to believe that Microsoft simply didn't feel syncing was as important as interface improvements for mainstream users. At the time priorities were being set, syncing may not have been considered mainstream, and numbers set priority for product development.

Perhaps more rapidly than expected, the user environments are becoming more and more dependent on multiple platforms for their daily functionality - just scan this thread for a glimpse. Therefore, the need for reliable sync services have quickly become more mainstream.

If my assumption is true, and now that it's been over a year since release and the number of people needing reliable sync services has grown rapidly, then I would hope there can be momentum toward fixing the issues. The time for excuses is long past - it's time for fixes.

D

Diane Ross

Kevin said:
The time for excuses is long past - it's time for fixes.

First, please keep in mind that these newsgroups are peer-to-peer. There
isn't much we can do. The best way is to send feedback to Microsoft .

When working in Office, you can use the ³Send Feedback² option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications.

D

daggles69

If you are using iCal now you should follow this routine.
Hi there, I wasted hours trying to sort this out. Your post saved it. Thank you.

Ask a Question