Images won't print page by page in document with section breaks.

M

mysci

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel This is an extremely annoying bug. I have a 60 page document with a number of images and charts. The document prints fine with all the images and charts correctly placed. For a while I could print individual pages from the document without any difficulty. However, after I inserted a section break into the document my problems began. The full 60 page document will still print without any problems, but if I try to print individual pages or a range of pages, the images/figures do not print. They show up as white space. I have seen this issue posed on a number of sites. There doesn't appear to be a solution. This is clearly a bug. Does anyone know of a solution. Printing the full document to obtain an individual page is untenable. I think this issue has appeared here and elsewhere before, but none of the advice so far has worked.

C

CyberTaz

The key ingredient is understanding how the foreign bodies are handled when
injected into the text flow of a Word document... The first concept being
that there are no 'pages' for the objects to be positioned. Floating objects
are anchored to the very beginning of a paragraph. If the start of that
paragraph is not included in the content being printed the object will not
print. The effect of its Text Wrap formatting, however, is still imposed on
the portion of the text where the graphic would appear when printed.

For a more thorough discussion of teh subject see this page as well as the
'floating' links at the bottom of it. There is even more on the second link:

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/PagesInWord.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

M

mysci

I'll check out the other tread again, but I think you understrod me to say that the section breaks were around the images. The are not. These breaks can be anywhere in the document. If I try to print.. say pgs 5-10... no images will print. If I remove the breaks and try the same thing, everything prints fine. This was never a problem in Word 2004. It is only a problem in '08.

I will see if there is a solution in the other thread. If not, I will post a reproducible experiment here that will precisely demontrate exactly what I mean. I'm not sure I have made the problem as clear as I can. Thanks.

Ask a Question