Is it possible to modify the fill patterns in Excel?

G

Greg Holley

I'm trying to mark cells in a table in two overlapping ways: by setting the background color for alternating blocks of rows, and by diagonal striping elements outside a certain range using conditional formatting. This works fine on my display screen, but when I print the spreadsheet (color printer), the striped areas just look gray. The tone of gray is different for the backgrounded and not-backgrounded cells, but I really want to see the striping distinct from color.

Is there any way to add new fill patterns to Excel, or to change the scale of the existing ones?

(The problem seems to be related to the "Scaling" parameter on the "Page Setup" menu. I was originally printing on landscape at 56%, and I couldn't see striping on my printouts at all. At 84% scaling the striping is there but not as clear as I'd like. But I'm hoping to find a solution less cumbersome than resizing everything to "Ariel 2")

Ask a Question