Latest version (12.1.1) Fixes my worst problems, yay!!!

F

frobozz

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

My spreadsheets that would give the erroneous "circular reference" errors when changing some cells (and then not update the other contents correctly)... now work fine! There's a weird visual artifact: when I type a new value into a box that contained an old value, and then hit return, the old value comes back momentarily, then it (and everything else) gets updated properly. Weird, but functional, and that makes me very happy.

The other problem we had with updating (pasting in large amounts of data on Sheet 2 would cause Excel to not update dependent cells on Sheet 1, even though changing any of those values one by one would result in correct updates) is also now fixed.

Overall the updating performance, while still a tad slower than Excel 2004, seems quite fast now, unlike the earliest versions of 2008.

The one last problem we'd found (using the compatibility analysis tool would erroneously flag cells as having references to closed workbooks)... well, that's still there. But we don't use that tool a lot. It's far more exciting to me that updating values in our spreadsheets causes the rest of the spreadsheet to actually have all the desired resulting values! We can start using Excel 2008 again, and hope we don't find any more showstoppers.

Thanks, Excel team bug-fixers!

Duncan

Ask a Question