Microsoft Office Word Has Stopped Working

• Thread starter Frustrated with Microsoft Word 2007
  • Start date
J

JB

I, too, was having the same issue. When trying to open a Word 2007 document from outlook 2007, or even just opening a word document from within a folder, the program would not open anything. I could open a file from the Word menu of recently opened items.

Knowing it was likely an add-in issue, I tried to turn off add-ins from the Word options button, but ALL of the choices for options could not be clicked!

I then tried the following which DID NOT WORK.
-repairing office 2007
-removing office add-in pdf maker (from the add/remove programs
-uninstalling office, rebooting, then reinstalling office 2007, rebooting, then installing office 2007 sp1.

Finally, I read this thread, and tried the regedit changes suggested above. Specifically,

Go to: CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word
Modify Addins -> oldAddins

Go to: CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/Word
Modify Data -> oldData
Modify Options -> oldOptions

Go to: LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word

This appears to have worked!!! (and now the Word options are working as well). I guess I could explore this further by narrowing down which of the above actually had data, and what that data was - but for now I'm just happy to have my word processing application back. I wonder if OpenOffice would have the same problems?

T

Terry Farrell

If you have been sent a documetn as an attachment in Outlook 2007, you must
right-click and save it to your local HDD before you can open it. It is a
security measure to ensure that you AV scans it before it is opened.

C

Cyn

NONE of this worked for me! And after a series marathon sessions, two with a Level II Microsoft tech, we've decided that any document created with a template in earlier versions of Word will just have to be opened with Open Office, which works just fine. And nearly all of the online classes I teach use those types of templates for student work. So...great. I'm using a FREE application to open the Word documents that matter most right now, still. NO one can seem to fix the problem. I'm totally bummed.

--
Cynthia Dagnal Myron

in message I, too, was having the same issue. When trying to open a Word 2007 document from outlook 2007, or even just opening a word document from within a folder, the program would not open anything. I could open a file from the Word menu of recently opened items.

Knowing it was likely an add-in issue, I tried to turn off add-ins from the Word options button, but ALL of the choices for options could not be clicked!

I then tried the following which DID NOT WORK.
-repairing office 2007
-removing office add-in pdf maker (from the add/remove programs
-uninstalling office, rebooting, then reinstalling office 2007, rebooting, then installing office 2007 sp1.

Finally, I read this thread, and tried the regedit changes suggested above. Specifically,

Go to: CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word

Go to: CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/Word
Modify Data -> oldData
Modify Options -> oldOptions

Go to: LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word

This appears to have worked!!! (and now the Word options are working as well). I guess I could explore this further by narrowing down which of the above actually had data, and what that data was - but for now I'm just happy to have my word processing application back. I wonder if OpenOffice would have the same problems?

A

Amber Amber

Something is horribly wrong with my Microsoft WORD, I can't open a blank
document or a document that I already created. I have Microsoft Office 2000.
How do I get it to work? Excel and PhotoDraw works fine. When WORD loads up I
get a blank page without a toolbar decorating the top and when I click the
screen with the cursor it turns all white and says (Not Responding.) How do I
fix this?

H

Helen Iggulden

Thank you Tom Watson for this stress relieving and simple solution! I think it should be on the Office 2007 support site as an FAQ - to save a lot of people paying the fee for the support - after all it does seem to be a Microsoft Office problem - mine started today with a Windows Update and thank goodness you had the altruism to let the rest of us know

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Since your post is a new one and not a reply to any other, we have NO idea
what you're talking about. Moreover, there is no post from anyone named Tom
Watson in this newsgroup.

T

Terry Farrell

Yes. Please share your secret with the rest of the world (presuming it is
news).

B

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

The message is apparently referring to a 01 Jun 2007 msg that was basically:
rename the Word 'data' key in the registry to 'olddata'. by "Tom Watson" where he mentioned being on the phone with MS for an
hour for the solution. :)

There are at least three changes in the subject line for that thread. Tom's was the one tha changed it to the one replied to here
by Helen. In the same thread the solution had been posted previously from another MS Case# (RSanford) and Suzanne had provided the
link to the Word MVPS FAQ page for a week earlier in that thread.

Of interest, in another portion of that thread was that two possible causes of the issue could those in this article, including the
MS Works add-in for Word.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946622

==============
Yes. Please share your secret with the rest of the world (presuming it is
news).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP <<

--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

J

Josh Young

I am wondering if you have any other suggestions, I tried changing the registry with no avail. I am still having issues with word just shutting down. It happens every time within a minute of opening whether a new doc or saved one. Any help would be appreciated!

-Josh

J

Josh Young

I was able to find the solution. It was a printer driver issue. I deleted all the printer drivers and then reinstalled the ones I was using and everything has been working fine since then!

-Josh

Ask a Question