Openning Excel Documents

J

John Holland

I cannot open about 90% of my Excel 12.1.1 Workbook files and some of my older Word files. If I revert to an older version of Excel on a backup, I can open them without a problem. Then when I re-save them and try to open with Excel 12.1.1 or 12.1.0, I have the same problem. I have contacted Microsoft but they never returned my email.

J

jmlope

I have a similar problem, but with some differences. I create an Excel 12.1.1 Workbook (a data sheet with a couple of pivot tables, nothing too special), open and save it in Excel 2007 (Windows), and cannot re open it in Excel 2008.
After reading some posts, I believe I will uninstall office 2008 and reinstall from the original disk. Is there anyway to uninstal only the update?

Thanks in advance,
Jose

C

CyberTaz

I'm afraid I can't tell you right off what will resolve the issue, but I can
tell you that reinstalling Office will not. Nor can updates be uninstalled.

Are you suggesting that under exact circumstances the problem never occurred
prior to applying the 12.1.1 update?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

B

Banjobillo

I am having the same problem trying to open some Excel documents. As a work around I have found I can drag the document into MacLink Plus Deluxe and then "view" the file. I then "select all" and "copy" the document. Then I open the Exel application and "paste" the copied document into the new blank document. Bingo - I now have a copy which I can work with and save as an Excel document. I am then able to open this document successfully

P

Pat McMillan

Is there any chance the sheet names contain forward or backslash characters?
If so, there is a known bug in 12.1.1 that we're working on a fix for that
prevents opening such files. If that's what you're seeing, the files can be
opened in previous versions of Mac Excel (where you can strip out the
invalid characters) or in Windows versions of Excel. If you can send me a
file you're having trouble with, I can check it for you.

Thanks,

Pat
(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question