Organizing Pages for Book in Publishing Layout

B

bpwsource

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am creating a Playbill for a Theatre company using Word 2008. I am used to using InDesign for this but the person I am training does not have any experience with InDeisgn so I have to create a "simpler" template, ready to print, in Word 2008 using Publishing Layout View.

I started from one of the pre-created Templates in the Publication Templates section under Programs.

My question is, when I go to print this document, double-sided and in book format, how do I organize the pages or make word aware of the page organiztion so it prints out correctly?

For example, I have 4 "pages" in landscape divided into 2 Actual Playbill Pages per "Page". When I print them out right now and Fold them in half to make a book ready to be Spine-Stapled, the page numbers are off.

The first Layout Page, I know, has to have the Cover and Back of the book on it - the Cover on the right, the Back on the Left so that when I fold that page in half, The Cover ends up on top and the Back on the Bottom - just like a book... It gets complicated, however, when I start to think about the main content of my document. I guess Layout Page 2 of my Playbill technically contains The "1st page" and the "2nd to last" page - since it will be double-sided, the left "Page" will be on the back of the Cover and the Right Page will be on the inside of the Back...

So, I could go through and manually figure this all out, which would take a long time considering I've already produced most of the content in a Linear format, or, I'm hoping, there is a "Book" function that organizes all this for me.... IS THERE??

InDesign has no problem with this...(obviously)

M

Michel Bintener

Hi,

if your document is in a linear format, you can simply save it as a PDF
file using Word's Save As feature and then use free software such as
Cocoa Booklet <http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/products/cbeng/cbeng.html> to
rearrange the pages for you. Note that Cocoa Booklet is not supported
under Snow Leopard, but since you use Leopard, you should be fine.

Ask a Question