PP has become extremely unstable

S

sunshine

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have used PowerPoint for many years - both Windows and Mac versions. I am currently using Office 2008 for Mac on an iMac computer with Intel duo core processor, 4 Gb of ram, and Leopard 10.5.6. Yesterday I was creating a new PP slide show using material previously developed for earlier slide shows. The process was to copy from one file and paste into the new one. The program kept seizing up and I was frequently required to do a force quit, while occasionally it shut down by itself and told me it had a problem. I assumed the file I was copying from was corrupted. However, today I experienced the same erratic behavior when I opened a different PP file - one that I developed some time ago and never had a problem with. Then I tried another "trusted" file and had the same problem - so the problem is apparently in the program and not in the files. I suppose my only recourse is to delete Office and reload it. Why would this happen? Does anyone have any other idea for a fix?

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have used PowerPoint for many years - both Windows and Mac versions. I am currently using Office 2008 for Mac on an iMac computer with Intel duo core processor, 4 Gb of ram, and Leopard 10.5.6. Yesterday I was creating a new PP slide show using material previously developed for earlier slide shows. The process was to copy from one file and paste into the new one. The program kept seizing up and I was frequently required to do a force quit, while occasionally it shut down by itself and told me it had a problem. I assumed the file I was copying from was corrupted. However, today I experienced the same erratic behavior when I opened a different PP file - one that I developed some time ago and never had a problem with. Then I tried another "trusted" file and had the same problem - so the problem is apparently in the program and not in the files. I suppose my only recourse is to delete Office and reload it. Why would this happen? Does anyone have any other idea for a fix?

Hi,

I would do the following things:

Make sure that all available Office updates are installed
Run Apple's Disk Utility to repair permissions
Run Alsoft DiskWarrior or TechTools on the startup volume

If you have already done these things, please post back. If not, please
do them and then post back to let us know whether or not the problem has
been fixed.

Thanks.

-Jim

S

sunshine

Thank you for your response. However, I waited awhile and hadn't received a response, so I went ahead and removed Office from the computer and then reloaded it. I suppose I should have done that before I posted to the forum. I imaging some perturbation, perhaps a hard exit, caused the problem. I was just so frustrated to have this problem. Once again, thank you. But, I am now assuming the problem is fixed.

Ask a Question