Read Only now different

Reaction score
I'm having a problem opening some documents in WORD 365. If they are saved as "read-only", Word won't let me edit them anymore. I have to untick "read-only" so I can edit them. This is different from how it was before. I need to keep documents saved as read-only because I use a lot of templates and have to edit them for different situations. and I can't risk them being saved over if I have edited them. I need to preserve the template from being saved over. This is how it used to work if I saved it would prompt me to save the file under a different name. now it just won't let me edit. Only happened in the last few days/ What gives? How do I fix it?

Reaction score
I'm having a problem opening some documents in WORD 365. If they are saved as "read-only", Word won't let me edit them anymore. I have to untick "read-only" so I can edit them. This is different from how it was before. I need to keep documents saved as read-only because I use a lot of templates and have to edit them for different situations. and I can't risk them being saved over if I have edited them. I need to preserve the template from being saved over. This is how it used to work if I saved it would prompt me to save the file under a different name. now it just won't let me edit. Only happened in the last few days/ What gives? How do I fix it?
We are seeing this behavior change also. Save as a new file first, then edit that.

Ask a Question