Syncing exchange e-mails @ home and @ work

D

di6turbed

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Good day,

I am quite a new Mac user, but right from the beginning I was astonished by its usability and friendliness. But to the point:

I was able to set up a connection with the Exchange server at my work and from my home. However, to do it I had to create two separate accounts which I use alternatively - which means that I have the same e-mails in both, and they take twice as much space. I was wondering whether it would be possible to set it up in such a way, that no matter where I connect the e-mails would sync to only one main folder?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wojciech Danecki

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I was able to set up a connection with the Exchange server at my work
and from my home. However, to do it I had to create two separate
accounts which I use alternatively - which means that I have the same
e-mails in both, and they take twice as much space. I was wondering
whether it would be possible to set it up in such a way, that no matter
where I connect the e-mails would sync to only one main folder?

Well it pretty much depends on how your server is setup.
You didn't tell us why you had to create different accounts for both.
Is the URL for the server different in both situations? If yes, that's
an issue.

Can you VPN-into your network and then use the same settings as from
work for instance?? That would allow you to eliminate the @Home setup,

Corentin

D

di6turbed

Well it pretty much depends on how your server is setup.
> You didn't tell us why you had to create different accounts for both.
> Is the URL for the server different in both situations? If yes, that's
> an issue.

I had to create different accounts because I am using one when I am directly connected to the cable at work and have access to the global address directory etc., and the other one works when I am outside my office and I connect through webmail. I figured out that I could use only the webmail one, as it works fine at work (connecting through the proxy), but I loose access to global address data, which is important for me.

So the question is once again:
1. Is it possible to somehow add connection through the webmail to the main connection I use at work, so that Entourage could choose which one to use depending on where I am, but having only one folder for e-mails etc. (without the need to double - synch everything)?

2. Would it work if I used just the account settings that I use at work, but if I changed them when I am out of office for longer periods (i.e. going into the settings and changing the server from EMAILBRUSV21 as it is now to "webmail..." one? Or would it cause Entourage to re-download messages creating duplicates in my folders?

3. Or is there a way to somehow have access to global address list using the webmail account settings and getting rid of the settings from work alltogether?
Can you VPN-into your network and then use the same settings as from
> work for instance?? That would allow you to eliminate the @Home setup,
>

As I said I am quite new, so I don't really know what does it mean to "VPN" into my network :) Could you clarify this, please?

Thanks for everything!

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

As I said I am quite new, so I don't really know what does it mean to
"VPN" into my network :) Could you clarify this, please?

Virtual Private Network.
If your network provides that service, you can connect securely to your
network at work from home and the Mac behaves as if it was connected on
the local work network.
This could allow you to use the Work setup from home.
Ask your network administrators if something like that might be
available to you.

Corentin

Ask a Question