Table Column Widths Fixing Size in Word 2010

T

TW Smith

Hi,

Automatically resize to fit contents is turned off.

I have found two ways to set the width of a table column in Word 2010: one in Table Properties and the other in Table Tools > Layout.

I have had issues with column sizes changing without my input. My Word-guru-certified coworker tells me that "Preferred Width" in Table Properties should not be used because it is not precise, whereas Table Tools > Layout >Width will lock the width for sure.

However, looking at the Table tab in Table Properties, I have found that the table Preferred Width value there affects the Width of the columns regardless of which you choose.

So, why are my table column widths changing without my input (for example, would placing a graphic mess these up?), and how do I stop them doing so?

What is the difference between setting table column width in these two locations (Table Properties > Column and Table Tools > Layout > Width) and which is more reliable? Perhaps you could point me to a URL for an explanation of this, also?

Thanks!

L

Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi,
So, why are my table column widths changing
without my input (for example, would placing a
graphic mess these up?), and how do I stop them doing so?

click "AutoFit | Fixed Column Width":
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/resize-a-table-column-or-row-HA102653846.aspx
What is the difference between setting table column width
in these two locations (Table Properties > Column and
Table Tools > Layout > Width) and which is more reliable?

No difference. To get exactly width, you have to disable AutoFit

T

TW Smith

So, I had a situation where the individual column widths in Table Tools > Layout > Width totaled more than the Preferred Width value in Table tab in Table Properties.

How does that happen?

Thanks.

S

Stefan Blom

If you change the total width of the table, columns will resize
proportionally, and at least one of them will lose the specified "Preferred
width" setting (it will be cleared).

Clicking Table Tools Layout | AutoFit | Fixed Column Width gives you control
over column widths. When you select the option, Word clears the "Preferred
width" setting for the whole table and disables "Automatically resize to fit
contents" in the Table Options dialog box.

S

Stefan Blom

If you can't get this to work, the table might be corrupt. Try converting it
to text and then convert back the text into a table.

Ask a Question