Trouble when deselecting"Double-click allows editing directly in the cell"

T

TheRedOak

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

With the preference setting as shown in subject line: when I type a new entry in a cell, the entry only appears in the formula bar above the spreadsheet and the entry cell looks blank.

Also, if I do a formula entry that refers to another cell, it only partially displays the top half of the formula I am entering in a cell approximately a few rows below my entry cell, sort of floating over the spreadsheet, not actually in a cell...(a font issue maybe?).

After clicking the return key, the typed text appears as it should. If I then continue to make changes to the formula, the entire formula is displayed a few rows below the cell I am entering in.

These "features" make it difficult to review my text as I type.

I like to leave preferences set this way so I can double-click a cell with a formula to see what cells are referred to by the formula.

How do I fix this problem, it was not there in earlier Excel versions with this preference setting?

Details:

iMac h/w: 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB RAM
iMAC s/w: 10.4.11
Excel 2008: 12.1.4

P

Pat McMillan

We are aware of the problem of text not displaying in a cell when that
preference is on. We're hoping to get a fix out in a future update. I'm not
completely clear about the second problem you're referring to. Would it be
possible to give more detailed steps, or provide a screenshot of the
problem?

Thanks,

Pat McMillan
(e-mail address removed)

T

TheRedOak

Pat,

Thanks for letting me know these issues are getting worked.

I could not figure out how to post a screen snapshot, so I sent it to you in an e-mail.

Bob

T

TheRedOak

Not sure if you got my e-mail, so here is all you have to do to view the "floating feature":

1. click on any cell in the worksheet,
2. start to enter a formula by typing: =
3. click on any other cell (e.g., F1) so the formula is now: =F1
4. continue the formula by typing + so the formula is now: =F1 +
5. click on any other cell (e.g., G2) so the formula is now: =F1 + G2
6. the formula is not seen in the cell I am typing in, instead, the top half of the characters are seen floating over the worksheet a few rows down and perhaps 1 column to the right

This is not the kind of feature I like...

Ask a Question