Web Component / Included Content / Page - Drawbacks?

E

Eric G

Hello,

Are there any drawbacks in using the "Web Component/Included Content/Page"?

What I'm asking is really:

The way I see it; "Web Component/Included Content/Page" is a really convenient way of using components like navigation menus (where a navigation menu can be the sole function of a page) and this little page can then conveniently be inserted in as many places as one requires. It's, as I said, a very easy way of duplicating content, while at the same time prodviding consistency. The same obviously goes for any other content that need to be duplicated.

But what about browser compatibility, loading times, or any other possible drawbacks?

Best regards,

Eric G

S

Steve Easton

Includes are a design time component, and the content is "included" during publish and / or when the
include is updated.
There are no "browser compatibility" issues that I'm aware of.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Hello,

The way I see it; "Web Component/Included Content/Page" is a really convenient way of using
components like navigation menus (where a navigation menu can be the sole function of a page) and
this little page can then conveniently be inserted in as many places as one requires. It's, as I
said, a very easy way of duplicating content, while at the same time prodviding consistency. The
same obviously goes for any other content that need to be duplicated.

But what about browser compatibility, loading times, or any other possible drawbacks?

Best regards,

Eric G

R

Ronx

The only drawbacks to the Include File component are that any JavaScript in
the included page will have to be located between the <body>...</body> tags,
and <style> sheets in the <head> </head> section will not be used in the
target pages. Any links in the JavaScript must be absolute or root
relative unless all the pages are in the same folder. FP cannot manage
JavaScript links.

The Include component only copies code between the <body> and </body>
tags, and nothing else.

In practice, these drawbacks form a minor hindrance, easily overcome with
external style sheets and .js files.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

Hello,

The way I see it; "Web Component/Included Content/Page" is a really
convenient way of using components like navigation menus (where a navigation
menu can be the sole function of a page) and this little page can then
conveniently be inserted in as many places as one requires. It's, as I said,
a very easy way of duplicating content, while at the same time prodviding
consistency. The same obviously goes for any other content that need to be
duplicated.

But what about browser compatibility, loading times, or any other possible
drawbacks?

Best regards,

Eric G

N

news frontiernet.net

Be aware that you cannot use the page or snipit of code in any other web except the one in which it physically resides.

That is, you cannot put a navigation system ( or any other code ) at the ROOT and use it in subwebs.

I wish that WERE possible. But it isnt.
Hello,

The way I see it; "Web Component/Included Content/Page" is a really convenient way of using components like navigation menus (where a navigation menu can be the sole function of a page) and this little page can then conveniently be inserted in as many places as one requires. It's, as I said, a very easy way of duplicating content, while at the same time prodviding consistency. The same obviously goes for any other content that need to be duplicated.

Best regards,

Eric G

E

Eric G

Thank's very much.

Yes, I noticed the "problem" with subwebs, and got it confirmed both in the FP2003 documentation and in FP 2003 Inside Out, by Jim Buyens. It's really a pity that you can't use over subwebs. But, reading Steve's reply above, I guess it would be possible - at the design stage - to just recreate the directory containing the required files (like navigation menus) in the subweb and using the "design" feature as it was meant. Then we just have to wait for some future release that works across to subwebs.

Regards,

Eric G

Be aware that you cannot use the page or snipit of code in any other web except the one in which it physically resides.

That is, you cannot put a navigation system ( or any other code ) at the ROOT and use it in subwebs.

Hello,

Best regards,

Eric G

E

Eric G

Thanks Steve,

I never thought of it that way, but it makes perfectly good sence.

Regards,

Eric G

E

Eric G

Thank you very much Ron,

It's an interesting comment you make about the JavaScript and something I'll
keep in mind.

Regards,

Eric G

J

Jack Brewster

I think you'll be waiting a long time. FP Includes have been a feature for
several versions and they haven't added it yet...

I realize that there are a lot of benefits to using subwebs (different
groups can manage their own sites, for example) but, personally, I've never
had a need to make use of this capability, even on a nearly 1000 page site.
I sometimes wonder if people "over-subweb" their sites.

This may not be applicable to you, but I thought I'd mention it, just in
case.

--
Jack Brewster
FrontPage MVP
www.maxgeek.com

Thank's very much.

Yes, I noticed the "problem" with subwebs, and got it confirmed both in the
FP2003 documentation and in FP 2003 Inside Out, by Jim Buyens. It's really a
pity that you can't use over subwebs. But, reading Steve's reply above, I
guess it would be possible - at the design stage - to just recreate the
directory containing the required files (like navigation menus) in the
subweb and using the "design" feature as it was meant. Then we just have to
wait for some future release that works across to subwebs.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

All design time web components will be just that - web based
- remember subwebs can be published to multiple servers so I don't ever see the include page being available across webs

Thank's very much.

Yes, I noticed the "problem" with subwebs, and got it confirmed both in the FP2003 documentation and in FP 2003 Inside Out, by Jim
Buyens. It's really a pity that you can't use over subwebs. But, reading Steve's reply above, I guess it would be possible - at the
design stage - to just recreate the directory containing the required files (like navigation menus) in the subweb and using the
"design" feature as it was meant. Then we just have to wait for some future release that works across to subwebs.

Regards,

Eric G

Hello,

The way I see it; "Web Component/Included Content/Page" is a really convenient way of using components like navigation menus
(where a navigation menu can be the sole function of a page) and this little page can then conveniently be inserted in as many
places as one requires. It's, as I said, a very easy way of duplicating content, while at the same time prodviding consistency. The
same obviously goes for any other content that need to be duplicated.

Best regards,

Eric G

Ask a Question