What approach to take to use Project 2000 in a network environment with multiple projects and PMs?

J

jonleBSAPM

Thanks in advance for your recs and suggestions to the following:

I am in charge of trying to figure out how best to track all of our projects on our team. Our corporate standard is Office 2000, of which version MS Project is available for my use.

I know that MS Project can be used at an "enterprise" level by (1) creating a resource pool project file and having other project draw resources from it and by (2) creating a Consolidate (Master) Project file into which I can insert other projects as subprojects.

My questions really have to do with my inexperience with implementation and continual maintenance of this.

1) Is this the best way of tracking projects across multiple functional units? We have the same resources working on multiple projects with impacts to other existing systems.

2) If this is the way to go, how should one go about implementing it most effectively? What are the most common problems you have come across, those of you who have done this? What are some of the headaches as well as rewards of this approach?

3) What are some other alternatives? I know there's the server edition. Not sure what the difference is and how to administrate it. How about Project Central? If Project Central, then how can I leverage the consolidated (master)/subprojects approach in a shared network environment?

Any thoughts on any of these items are very much appreciated. Thanks for your time and responses. Looking forward to them!

-->Please also email me your response.<--- Thanks

Ask a Question