Access 2010 DB not fuctional with multiple users

Reaction score
I have a DB I created as a sort of real time virtual client check in log. It would be stored on an intranet network drive. In theory, a greeter can send client information back to be picked up by another worker. This is done through a series of forms, tables, and queries. When I test it myself on my own machine, opening both the greeter and reception forms I can enter information on the greeter, click the action button to send it to the table, where a timered query picks it up, selects the current record, and then displays it on the reception form. Everything works perfectly. The only problem is when I try to test it on multiple computers, the greeter can send info back, it appears on the table, but the reception form never populates. Any ideas where the disconnect is?

Reaction score
I've long since gotten it working. My issue was something so basic it was overlooked in everything I read. I'm pretty tech savvy but was relatively new to programming and I just jumped in without really understanding how it all worked. To save some other newbie programmer the same trouble I had I'll go ahead and share the answer to my issue.
Global variables are only global in the scope of the currently running instance of the application on your local machine.
I moved my 'global variables' to a table so that all instances of the program could read them, and I did eventually split the database into a front and back end. took a little trick to work around the issue of deleting and re-adding the attachment column to one of the tables in a split database to clear it, but once I found that I was able to split it and maintain the functionality I was looking for.

Ask a Question