add mergefields to exsting word 2013

Reaction score
In an existing Word 2013, I am trying to add mergefields to the existing document and actually see data from the database in the new mergefields that I am using. However somehow I am doing something incorrectly since I am not accomplishing my goal.

When the document opens, the following query appears, Select * from 'viewMailing' and I hit the 'yes' button. Then a selection for a datasource is selected and I pick +newSQLServerConnection.odc, I click open and only 1 record is selected with some kind of data.

Now on mailings tab, I do the following:
1. place my cursor where I want one new column from the database to be place on the word 2013 document,
2. I select 'Insert Merge Fields',
3. I highlight the database field I want and click the insert button.
4. I hit the peview results button and all the data from the database record is gone,
5. I then hit the preview results button again and no data is displayed. I see all the original merge fields plus the new merge field that I just inserted.
6. I hit the merge button again all the data from the database is gone.

Notes: When the Select * from 'viewMailing' is executed, I know there is nothing that is actually selected. This is something I am going to work on in the query. I do not know exactly where the one row is coming from unless it was obtained from the original odbc connection.

Thus can you tell me how to add mergefields to the existing document and actually see data from the database in the new mergefields that I am using?

Ask a Question