align the contents of a table cell - toolbar command button?

J

JenY

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I customize my toolbars pretty significantly. I recently had to recreate my normal template, and now I can not find a toolbar button that I had that allowed me to select the alignment of the contents of a cell of a table BOTH vertically AND horizontally. It would open a choice of nine different alignments (top-left, top-center, top-right, middle-left, middle-center, middle-right, etc.)

I can not find the button anywhere in customizing toolbars --> commands. {I looked under both 'tables' and 'all commands'} The closest command that I see are three separate buttons for top, middle, and bottom vertical alignment (which I assume would then require me to use the paragraph layout for the left-center-right alignment.)

Does anyone know where that command button would be found?? I use tables a TREMENDOUS amount, and I am frustrated at not being able to do something that I always could do so easily. {Before anyone asks, yes, I'm SURE that I had the button in Word O8!}

THANKS!!!!

C

CyberTaz

Hi Jen -

Don't Despair! :) That happens to be a "specialty" button that combines
several commands, it isn't a command in itself. I'm not sure it was ever
listed separately, but since it's an integral part of the Tables & Borders
toolbar, that's all you need. If you want a copy on another bar:

Just make sure both the Tables & Borders bar & the target bar are displayed
when you go into the Customize dialog, then hold the Option key while you
drag the button in order to copy it to the other bar.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

J

JenY

Bob, thanks, but that's not working for me... maybe I don't understand what you are saying...

I still can not find the button anywhere on the tables&borders toolbar customization options that aligns the cell in both directions... I even reset the toolbar... I KNOW it was ONE button before - I didn't need to do anything special to find it. I do not see it as an integral part of the original toolbar.

Could you either re-explain, or suggest a different solution??

Thanks!

C

CyberTaz

Sure - it can be a bit deceptive because the button icon will display as the
type of alignment for which it was last used....

The Tables & Borders toolbar consists of 2 rows of buttons when it's
floating. The one you're looking for is in the bottom row, 4th from the
left. (If you Control/Right-Click it & select Properties its name will be
shown as Cell Ali&gnment.) Hold the Option key while you drag that button to
another toolbar in order to copy it to that bar.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question