annoying compatibility pop-up on save as .xls format

R

r00ib0s

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Each time I save my Excel files, I get the following pop-up warning:

"Some content in Name.xls may not be saved because it is not compatible with the Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls) file format. Do you still want to save the workbook in this format?

To save the workbook in a new format and preserve all content, click No, and then on the Format pop-up menu, click Excel Workbook (.xlsx). To save the workbook in the current format and remove all incompatible content, click Yes."

This happens even though I set the default "save as" format as Excel 97-2004, and created the workbook from scratch in Excel 2008 and always saved it in the Excel 97-2004 format. So there cannot be any "incompatible content".

I've tried disabling the compatibility report and various other things, but nothing works. I keep getting this annoying pop-up that seems designed to irritate users to the point where they switch to the xlsx format out of frustration.

How do I get rid of this pop-up?

C

CyberTaz

Nothing disables those features of Excel 2008 which aren't compatible with
the older format. If you use any of those features - such as anything in the
Elements Gallery - it will evoke that warning when you save to the older
format. The apparent expectation is that you may want to use the new
features & save in the newer format to retain the work you've done.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question