Bringing Excel Spreadsheets into Word X

W

Walt_Atwood

Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I use Microsoft Office v.X:Mac.

Later this month, I will be volunteering for a local sprint racing event at a community festival. Races take place over three days of a long weekend. Friday features one mid-distance race and Saturday and Sunday feature sprint races repeated over the two-day event. (Contestants run in the race for the first day, have their race-time recorded, and then again on the second day, again the time is recorded. The race results are the total of both days' times for each contestant.) Some contestants may drop out of a race or be disqualified.

Central to this project will be the ability to enter data for time (hours, minutes, seconds-plus-decimal-points) and add times together.

There are several different classes of races, each one would presumably be its own worksheet. Entries for each contestant would be sorted by starting order, then first and last name, the contestant's hometown and state, then the contestant's assigned racing number, then the times. Contestants are all signed up well in advance of the race, so I now have all of their registration data in hand.

The desired output would naturally be the re-arrange the contestants of each race in order of results. The results would also include for final added time.

Local newspapers and an international racing news web-site are given the results. These entities prefer the results in ".doc" format. I produced last year's results in tables in Microsoft Word v.X:Mac. Below is a link to a PDF file with the 2009 results.

http://sites.google.com/site/waltsimplesite/LobdellRaceResults2-2009.pdf?attredirects=0

How practical would it be to produce a DOC file in Microsoft Word with tabulated data imported from Excel?

(These news entities do not necessarily use the latest software; some may be long-in-tooth.)

R

Rob Schneider

What you are proposing is just how Excel and Word is designed to work.
(Word for writing and creating paper or paper equivalent, and Excel for
computations)

You can even "link" from Word back to Excel so that when you change the
data in Excel, those portions of the spreadsheet which are linked back
to Word will change automatically.

Suggest you set all this up before the event.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

W

Walt_Atwood

Where's the best web-based tutorial for Word and Excel in this regard? My Lynda.com account is currently inactive, but I noticed they offer Office 2003 for Windows movies on their site.

J

John McGhie

On the Microsoft site :)

Google for "Microsoft Word 2003 Help" and have at it. There is far more
information there than in the Lynda videos, which are for the most part
trivial, and often contain methods that would not be suggested as
appropriate for valuable documents :)

For example: Any suggestion on document formatting that does not begin with
a discussion on styles is heading down a path that will lead to a
maintenance-intensive throw-away document.

Cheers

Where's the best web-based tutorial for Word and Excel in this regard? My
Lynda.com account is currently inactive, but I noticed they offer Office 2003
for Windows movies on their site.

This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless you intend to pay!

--

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:[email protected]

Ask a Question