Check value range, then return spesific number?

A

Arne Pedersen

Hi.

I want to implement a function in my spreadsheet, that gives me this:

When I enter a number into a cell, another number shows in another cell, based upon the number first entered. A bit more spesific:

The idea is to calculate the number of instructors needed for a week end seminar. 1 participant requires 1 instructor. Same for 2 participants, and 3.

4, 5 and 6 participants requires 2 instructors. 7, 8 and 9 participants requires 3 instructors. And so on. For every 3 participant, we apply 1 instructor.

So, i.e. if I enter the number 5, i want the number 2 in the cell below.

I tried to experiment a little with the IF function, but without any luck.

I would really appreciate it if someone could assist me.

Regards.

C

Claus Busch

Hi Arne,

Am Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:54:43 GMT schrieb Arne Pedersen:
When I enter a number into a cell, another number shows in another cell, based upon the number first entered. A bit more spesific:
The idea is to calculate the number of instructors needed for a week end seminar. 1 participant requires 1 instructor. Same for 2 participants, and 3.
4, 5 and 6 participants requires 2 instructors. 7, 8 and 9 participants requires 3 instructors. And so on. For every 3 participant, we apply 1 instructor.
So, i.e. if I enter the number 5, i want the number 2 in the cell below.

Number of participants in A1, then in A2:
=VLOOKUP(A1,{0,1;4,2;7,3;10,4;13,5;16,6},2,1)

Regards
Claus Busch

Ask a Question