Combining values of two custom properties...

N

news.microsoft.com

Hi All,
Here's a newbie question for which I can't seem to find an answer... I've been searching for info on how to concatenate the values of two custom properties into one new field and can't seem to finding anything - is this even possible?

I'm trying to combine the values in the two fields Visio creates when the "Number Shapes" Add-on is run. Visio creates the following custom properties;

Prop.ShapeNumberText - alphanumberic
PropShapeNumber - numeric

I'm trying to create a third field which is populated by a concatentation of the two above-listed custom properties. The new field will be used as a sort field for a report.

Is it possible to create formula driven custom property fields? Can this be done by "simply" creating a new ShapeSheet row in the "Custom Properties" section and entering a formula? If so can someone provide tips on the formula's syntax? Or, (maybe...) does the new field need to be created as a "User-defined Cell"? I can't seem to get it...

Thanks in advance,
Harry

J

JuneTheSecond

Putting a formula in the 3rd row as
Prop.Row_1&"-"&Prop.Row_2
might concatenates the first and second data.

H

Harry

Hi and thanks for the tip. I'm still getting a value of "0" when entering
the formula in the syntax you suggest. I'm guessing the issue may lie in
the fact that one cell is alpha-numeric and the other numeric. Do you know
how to convert numeric to alpha? I searched through the function reference
and can't find anything similar the TEXT or CONCATENATE functions found in
Excel.

Thanks again

D

David Parker

If you are sorting for a report, then you probably want the following formula:
=GUARD(Prop.ShapeNumberText&FORMAT(Prop.ShapeNumber,"00")

Hi All,
Here's a newbie question for which I can't seem to find an answer... I've been searching for info on how to concatenate the values of two custom properties into one new field and can't seem to finding anything - is this even possible?

I'm trying to combine the values in the two fields Visio creates when the "Number Shapes" Add-on is run. Visio creates the following custom properties;

I'm trying to create a third field which is populated by a concatentation of the two above-listed custom properties. The new field will be used as a sort field for a report.

Is it possible to create formula driven custom property fields? Can this be done by "simply" creating a new ShapeSheet row in the "Custom Properties" section and entering a formula? If so can someone provide tips on the formula's syntax? Or, (maybe...) does the new field need to be created as a "User-defined Cell"? I can't seem to get it...

Thanks in advance,
Harry

H

Harry

Hi,
Major screwup on my part - I was entering the formula in the incorrect
column of the ShapeSheet ("format" instead of "value"). Your example worked
perfectly. See, I told you I'm a newbie...

Thanks for the help!

H

Harry

Hi David,
Thanks for responding - the problem lay in me trying to add the formula to the wrong Shapesheet field (Doh!). The example from the previous poster worked perfectly.

Thanks again,
Harry
If you are sorting for a report, then you probably want the following formula:
=GUARD(Prop.ShapeNumberText&FORMAT(Prop.ShapeNumber,"00")

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Ask a Question