LISTNUM + Mail Merge + INCLUDETEXT : Referencing Paragraph # Can't get to work

Reaction score
I've been struggling with this issue for a while, and am hoping someone may have some guidance.

I am creating a Mail Merge document that includes multiple document parts, including the INCLUDETEXT function to create the full document. Data is being pulled into the document via MERGEFIELD and the number of paragraphs can very significantly depending on multiple variables in each of the various parts.

I have been able to get each paragraph to number correctly throughout the document regardless of the number of paragraphs using the LISTNUM function - specifically ((LISTNUM LegalDefault)) -

The problem is that I also need to be able to reference a specific paragraph number within the document in various locations, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that short of manually setting the number by use of an IF statement (with many embedded IF statements) - this works, but is not ideal as every time there is a change to the document that may change the number of paragraphs, this IF statement needs to be manually updated to account for the change(s).

I'm hoping that there is an easy/quick way to simply reference the specific paragraph number. I've tried using bookmarks, using a custom numbering list (via SET & REF Function), and even attempted subtracting from the LISTNUM amount in an attempt to get the desired result. Unfortunately I've been unsuccessful - bookmarks & REF functions don't pull the set number for the paragraph, but instead seem to just add a new LISTNUM value which then throws off the paragraph numbering completely.

I've searched online but am unable to get anything that works, and in fact only seem to find indication that this may not be a possibility at all, but I find it hard to accept that it can't be done. Am I missing something? Or is this really not possible?

Any insight or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Ask a Question