Convert MSP to MSI GPO deployment

S

steveoll

I'm in the crap and really need help!!!!
My boss deployed office SP1 via GPO prior to me starting now he has asked me
to deploy SP2 via GPO. I have looked at the server 2003 SBS and found a
shared folder with the SP1 but it only contains the 2003sp1.msp file.

My understanding is that you need to convert that file to an MSI to deploy
via GPO and thats where my problem is. I have deployed software before but
only by CA software delivery packages, I have had no experiance of deployment
through GPO.
A beginers guide would be great I don't mind reading! I have searched MS
site but can't seem to find what i need.

Any guidance would be great and save my job.

Thanks in advance

Steve

E

Ed Paulette

I presume that you have learned by now that you can/should "slipstream" (merge) the patch into the original distribution and then "redeploy" the patch.

However, I have become a little more cautious and now always make a copy of the original software package and merge the patch into that copy. That way I have a fallback if the merged package doesn't work.

Microsoft has good documentation on merging msp (patch) files into an existing MSI installation.

If you follow the second alternative, just add the new, merged version of the package and designate it as an update of the previous package. Be sure that you mark, for both packages, "Uninstall if this application falls out of the scope of management."

The next time the GPO is applied, the original application will be uninstalled and the new, merged version is install. User settings, modified templates and such, are not affected by this uninstall/reinstall.

I have consistently experienced that if you have "manually" updated the original GPO installation, it is likely that your GPO for that package will quit working! If the GPO change being attempted would uninstall a software package, but fails, you will find that no software installation GPO will be applied! The rule I follow is "don't manually apply updates to software GPO's!"

Converting your SP1 msp to an MSI and then distribuing it as an update or as a separate GPO will probably just cause problems. I don't recommend it based on my experience.

Ask a Question