Difficulty with compatibility mode and Track Changes

Reaction score
I use Office 365. I prepared a Word document (.docx) to send an entity who subsequently informed me that they require that it be submitted in .doc format (I dunno. Maybe they’re in Elbonia). To comply, I did a ‘save as’ and selected .doc format, and that created a ‘compatibility mode’ .doc. Fine. No problem, except that I also needed to make a few changes, but now I find that Track Changes doesn’t seem to work in a compatibility mode document.

When I hover over Track Changes in this compatibility mode document, I get a drop-down telling me that functionality is currently limited because the document is in compatibility mode. It further informs me that I should convert to a new file format by going to File > Convert, but there is no ‘Convert’ in the dropdown list.

Is there a workaround? And if so, will it result in a .doc document where Track Changes is functional?

Many thanks :)

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Track changes works just fine with the older .doc format.

Any document created in or for and earlier Word version will open in compatibility mode, which simply means features introduced in later versions won't be available. In the older .doc format, for example, content controls are not supported and any that exist in a converted docx document will get converted to a static version of whatever they were displaying at the time of conversion.

Reaction score
Thank you, but it looks like I'm stuck, unable to do Track Changes in a document that complies with the other party's request.

Ask a Question