Document Connection- Cannot connect to sharepoint site

O

olaf

Document Connection on SBS 2008

After few hours of trying now I'm one step further!

1. Error HTTP/1.1 404

HTTP/1.1 404 means that no "_vti_inf.html" file exists.
Just create it!

File: "_vti_inf.html" contains:

<!-- FrontPage Configuration Information
FPVersion="12.0.0.000"
FPShtmlScriptUrl="_vti_bin/shtml.dll/_vti_rpc"
FPAuthorScriptUrl="_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.dll"
FPAdminScriptUrl="_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.dll"
TPScriptUrl="_vti_bin/owssvr.dll"
-->

Now save this file on the „SBS SharePoint" physical location (on my SBS 2008:
„C:\Programm Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\WebApp\InternalWebSite")

2. Error HTTP/1.1 405 (Method Not Allowed)

Go to "Server-Manager"-"Internet Information Services - Manager".
Expand the tree to "COMPUTERNAME"-"Sites"-"SBS SharePoint".
Double click on "Handler Mappings" icon, select the "Add Script Map" button.
Type "*.html" (without quotes) in the "Request Path“ box.
underneath this, insert in „Executable“ „c:\windows\System32\inetsrv\asp.dll“" (without quotes) and find an apposite name.
Select the "Request Restrictions" button, on tab „Mapping“ checking the checkbox „Invoke handler only if request is mapped to:“ and mark radiobutton „File.
Go to tab „Verbs“ and insert „POST“ in the textfield.
On „Access“ tab check the Script radiobutton an confirm that all with clicks of the „ok“ Button.

After a IIS reboot I can now access „companyweb“ with „Document Connection“,but there are several problems with write access.

I CANNOT TAKE LIABILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM THIS CHANGE!!!
THE EFFECTS HAVE NOT YET BEEN TESTED!

G

gutch

Good news — I found the solution!

SharePoint needs to have its 'Client Integration' feature turned on. Log in to your SharePoint Central Administration site as an administrator. Navigate to Central Administration > Application Management > Authentication Providers then click the appropriate zone (in my case, 'Default'). If 'Enable Client Integration' is set to No, switch it to Yes and click Save.

In my case this immediately fixed up the problem. I can now use Microsoft Document Connection to view, create and edit documents in our SharePoint sites.

O

olaf

OK! The simple way is the best! A little more documentationfrom MS would have been helpful...

M

mikeimac

I've tried all of the above and still no luck! I have two sites (two IP's) pointing to the same data one is set for forms authentication and the other is windows. The forms has a FQDN the windows just has an IP. The system is NOT running AD. When I try to access the windows based through the IP I get all the same errors above. Any thoughts?

K

Kirk Engelmeier

Hi Mike,
I tried connecting via IP address and it did not work for me either, I'll
keep trying and let you know if I get it to work. Unfortunately there is no
support for form based authentication in the Document Connection.

I imagine you have but I need to ask, have you tried using the machine name
instead of the IP for the windows authentication?

Thanks,
-Kirk

J

Jim Gordon MVP

I've tried all of the above and still no luck! I have two sites (two IP's) pointing to the same data one is set for forms authentication and the other is windows. The forms has a FQDN the windows just has an IP. The system is NOT running AD. When I try to access the windows based through the IP I get all the same errors above. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Does it make any difference if you add the domain to your search domains
in the Network control panel?

-Jim

K

Kirk Engelmeier

One user reported that adding the IP address to the bypass proxy list in the
Network Preferences has worked (though this has not worked for me).
-Kirk

M

mikeimac

No it didn't make any difference. I also created a fqdn for (machinename).domain.com and it still did not work. I can't just access the machine via machine name because it's not local. I also have been unsuccessful creating a VPN to the machine if that helps...

M

mikeimac

I was able to mount the sharepoint via finder when I have a VPN connection to the server, however I can't see any documents. I can only connect via webdav when my osx machine user name and password are the SAME as an account on Server 2008. Document connection still does not work when connected to the vpn. Any ideas?

M

mikeimac

OK now something really weird is happening. After I connected with the above settings, now I can connect with "my" account on the win2008 server and see the sharepoint document library - without a VPN connection! I still cannot connect via document connection.

M

mikeimac

New.. improved.. doesn't work again :(

My two days of bliss has ended. I had to restart my mac yesterday and now while I can connect to the webdav share on the sharepoint server, now I cannot see anything. Furthermore it won't let me eject the volume because it says it's in use, but I have no connections to it. When I run DF from terminal it reports:

df: negative filesystem block count/size from fs /Volumes/(my ip removed)
Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 624470624 568413816 55544808 92% /
devfs 238 238 0 100% /dev
fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev
map -hosts 0 0 0 100% /net
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% /home
<http://(my> ip removed)/ 0 0 0 0% /Volumes/(my ip removed)

any suggestions now?

M

mikeimac

I want to note that you have to also do the the previous post concerning putting in the _vti_inf.html file and other steps. I tried to take it out and it immediately stopped working.

Ask a Question