entourage 12.1.5 update password problems

D

Diane Ross

As suggested, I am now going to try uninstalling Office 2008, see if I can get
my keychain and logon/logoff working again, remove all Entourage-related
keychain items, then reboot and reinstall Office 2008 and updates (prior to
launching Office as suggested).

This should get everything back to normal.

My recommendation is for any installer like Office, Adobe, Apple that uses
an installer is to quit all applications by logging out/in with Shift key
down. Anything that is open is subject to problems. Drag and drop installs
don't require this type of action.

You might think this is overkill but it's quick and simple to do. You might
do 20 installs without doing this, but it only takes one bad install to make
this worthwhile.

Once you get one good install, just use it to install for other users.
Personally, I updated on two volumes. One was a clone of the other. The
clone updated but the original had problems with the password issue. I just
dragged over the good update and I was quickly back working.

Hope this helps!

T

Tim_Snoots

Diane,

I have now solved my issue with Office and am posting this in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

Unfortunately, prior to even doing a reinstall of Office I had to solve my login issue. Luckily, I had a second account on my Mac that allowed me to log in and work with. So, the first thing I did was uninstall Office 2008, then reboot, then discover that my ability to login was still broken. So, I called AppleCare to assist.

What I finally discovered (with the assistance of 3 Apple Care engineers) is that the 12.1.5 update somehow broke the binding of my Mac's machine account on our Active Directory domain. As a result, the problem at first seemed to be a Keychain issue, but this ended up to just be a symptom, not the actual problem. When going the the extreme of completely deleting login.Keychain did not resolve the issue, they realized that it was something else.

What finally resolved the issue was deleting my user account (an Active Directory "mobile" account with local Home directory) from the Mac, but choosing to keep the user's Home directory. Then, we unbound the Mac from the AD, rebooted, then re-bound it to the AD. I then was able to log in using my AD account again because the Mac had created a brand new user profile for me. I then manually moved all of my files and preferences from my old "UserAccount (Deleted)" directory to my new user account. So, after several hours of Apple support calls and manually recreating my account, I was again able to login to my AD account.

Lastly, I logged in as a local account with Admin rights and reinstalled Office 2008 SP1 from my DVD, and then installed 12.1.5 update prior to launching any Office applications. Several login/logouts later, things seem to be back to normal now.

I hope this helps anyone having similar issues logging in to an AD account after the 12.1.5 update.

D

Diane Ross

I hope this helps anyone having similar issues logging in to an AD account
after the 12.1.5 update.

Thanks for the detailed info. You are the first to report a problem with an
AD account. What a mess for you.

I'll add this to the blog. I'm sure all the AD users out there will
appreciate you sharing the solution.

A

alchemyst79

Typical Microsoft. Massive solution to a minimal problem. Add me to the list of insignificant casualties to this issue. Glad MS is so considerate to those of us in the minority (or are we?)

D

Diane Ross

alchemyst79 said:
Typical Microsoft. Massive solution to a minimal problem. Add me to the list
of insignificant casualties to this issue. Glad MS is so considerate to those
of us in the minority (or are we?)

First, please keep in mind that these newsgroups are peer-to-peer. There
isn't much we can do. The best way is to send feedback to Microsoft .

When working in Office, you can use the ³Send Feedback² option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications.

M

Mike

Well All -

I finally got around to removing the office folder from applications, backing up my office user data folder under documents...and then proceeding with the reinstall of office.
1) downloaded office for mac updates SP1 12.1.0, and 12.1.5
1) shut down after deleting trash
2) restart, install from DVD
3) shut down, then installed 12.1.0
4) shut down, then installed 12.1.5
5) shut down, then opened entourage
6) prompted for passwords to my four email accounts, typed in password and checked box to keep in osx keychain, then prompted to allow always and selected this (this was new since reinstalling)
7) entourage opened with all my previous data the same (yeah!) and downloaded all my mail
8) quit entourage
9) restarted entourage and WHOLA!!! no more prompting for passwords.

although a bit tedious the solution worked. Hope this helps...thanks everyone, until the next issue.

Mike

Ask a Question