Entourage database failure after 10.6.3 update

P

priusgeek

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I ran the new Snow Leopard Update 10.6.3 (from 10.6.2) and now every time I power on, I get an error message telling me the MS Office database daemon has a problem and do I want to close / restart. I've rebooted / retried, rebuilt the database, but it just sits there and repeats every couple of seconds. Anyone else seen this?

R

Raindropranch

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I ran the new Snow Leopard Update 10.6.3 (from 10.6.2) and now every time I power on, I get an error message telling me the MS Office database daemon has a problem and do I want to close / restart.I've rebooted / retried, rebuilt the database, but it just sits there and repeats every couple of seconds. Anyone else seen this?

Yes. Same problem. Any solutions?

P

priusgeek

Yes, I finally got it to work. I'm not sure why this happened, but the database that Office creates was corrupted and it just could not use it. I had to shut down all office programs and delete the "Microsoft User Data" folder in "Documents". Open up Entourage again and re-set up your accounts. In my case this was no big deal because I just use it for Exchange, and all the mail /cal data was on the server. If you keep anything locally, or use a mail server that doesn't have all of your data, you may have a more challenging time of it.

If you try this, I suggest not just deleting the user data folder, just drag it to your desktop so you don't lose anything. I was then able to copy most of the files in there back to the new folder that Office creates to restore most of my settings. Yuck!

Gray

D

Diane Ross

Yes, I finally got it to work. I'm not sure why this happened, but the
database that Office creates was corrupted and it just could not use it.

When running any update like the 10.6.3 updater, it's best to quit all
applications first including the hidden ones like the Microsoft Database
daemon. Easy way to do this is to log out of your User, then log in with
the Shift key down to disable all startup items.

H

Hunter

Maybe similar problem? Upgrade to OS X 10.6.3 today. Have been using Office 2008 without problem until now. Since the upgrade Entourage won't completely open -- locks up when trying to down load messages. Force quit is the only option. Word, Powerpoint, Excell all seem fine.

The problem with starting over (or at least what I'm worried about as a definite non-computer-geek) is that all this is on my wife's computer, and she never empties email, has ~1200 messages in her inbox. She wants to be sure they are retained, and also to recover the similar number of sent messages that are on her computer but not on her IT server (Comcast).

Solutions?

Thanks! HHH

Ask a Question