equation editor problem in powerpoint

S

sdiddams

Hello:

Just installed the new Office 2008 for Mac on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.4.11) with the hope that speed and compatibility issues would be improved. The first ppt file I opened was created with powerpoint on a PC. I was pleased to see that the file opened more quickly and images (mainly technical graphs) looked OK.

However, I was disappointed to see that the mathematical equations all looked mixed up (wrong characters, etc). Clicking on the equation object does not open the equation editor, but gives the following message: "The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Check that the path or file name are correct, or try re-installing the server application."

I can open the equation editor independently (Insert:Object:Microsoft Equation), so I know the equation editor is installed.

The exact same thing happens with equations in Word that were created on a PC.

I don't believe there is anything strange with source (PC created powerpoint file). I also run XP under Parallels and have Office 07 running there. The same powerpoint files open without a problem and look completely fine.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? Did I do something wrong in the installation? Or is this yet another incompatibility issue b/t MS Office running on the PC and Mac?

Thanks for any help.

Scott

D

daniellim

Hello,

I am facing the exact same problem as the above. Im running Mac office 2008 on mac os x leopard 10.5.2 and equations also do not display correctly in Word and Powerpoint. They appear as a garbled mess. However, they display fine in Keynote and on my PC (Office 2007). Equation editor is also installed. Any ideas how to fix this or if an update is available soon?

Help desperately needed,
Daniel

Ask a Question