EXCEL 2008 SLOW IN VLOOKUP AND RELATED CALCULATION

M

mecha-cyber

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

To all users of Excel 2008 Mac,

If you are wondering why your excel is running very slow when inserting row or inserting copied cell of a row of data in your worksheet. And the data in the worksheet has vlookup function. Please read my conversation with pat below

Hi Pat,

Sorry for the intrusion I was browsing in the forum about the excel mac problem of being slow and I caught your replies to one of the feedback from a mac user.
talklists
Jun 14, 2008
6:57pm

I have recently bought a mac book and installed the 2008 microsoft office. ( I am migrating from PC to a mac).

I am experiencing a very slow response time when I am adding rows into a worksheet.
The worksheet contains about 45 lines of data linking to another worksheet (using Vlookup) and formulas.

Adding a row or "insert copied cell" into a row takes about 1-2 minutes. Which normaly on a pc it takes about 2 second (figure of speech).
The spec of the machine is
Standard Macbook white
120 gb harddisk
2 gb ram

In a comparable pc (the one I am using now) doing this is not an issue.

So Pat, I was wondering if you have resolved the problem posted by talklists on this forum

<http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Excel/2105>

Please kindly let me know.

If you need any details on my product keys or anything else, please let me know.

Replied

Hi Darwin,

Could you please let me know what version of Office 2008 you are running? If you go to Excel/About Excel... The version should say 12.1.7. If you’re not running 12.1.7, you should update to it as soon as possible. We’ve made hundreds of fixes and improvements to Excel since the initial 12.0 release, and many of them were related to performance. If you do find that you’re not running the latest update, you can go to Help/Check for Updates, then check for available updates and install them. You may have to first install the 12.1 update and then go through the same process to update to 12.1.7.

If it turns out that you are already running 12.1.7, please let me know and we can investigate further. Oh, and with Vlookup and other lookup functions, you could have performance issues if your lookup functions are referencing entire columns (like A:D) rather than a particular prescribed range (like A1:D100). Since we increased the size of the grid of worksheets in Excel 2008, a lookup formula that references entire columns has to iterate through literally millions of cells to calculate.

Thanks,

Pat

replied

Pat

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

My Excel version is 12.1.7 and yes I vlookup reference to entire columns which means from row 1 to 104K.

This might explain why.
Do you have any suggestions on how to speed this up ? the file I am using was created in PC excel 2003 which notably has pnly 65K row.

Regards,

Replied

Hi Darwin,

Yes, you can search for any instances of the vlookup function in your workbook, then manually change the range referenced by the vlookup function to only the range that actually contains data (rather than the entire column(s)). Once you’ve done that, if you save and re-open the workbook, you should find that performance is back to normal. If you have trouble with that, feel free to send me the file and I can do it.

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks Darwin. Actually, you’re right that most people do use the whole column when creating vlookup references. Because of that, we’re working on a change that will make Excel look at just the used range within a column-based reference when calculating formulas with lookup functions, which should make the performance problems like the ones you’re seeing go away entirely. Watch for updates over the next few months because I think we might be able to get that fix into one of the upcoming updates.

Thanks,

Pat

replied

Great.

I am looking forward to the updates. I hope it is coming out sooner than expected.

Mate, it has been a very good response. And I really a

Ask a Question