Excel Not enough memory: how to fix??

R

RodC

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

I have for Microsoft Office , Home & Student Edition 2008. I use Mac G5 Power PC, using Mac OS X, version 10.5.8

I cannot get into Excel.

Both the application and documents provide message "Not enough memory." I cannot open a single Excel document and cannot even get the application to open. Each spreadsheet I use is small. No larger than two pages each. But I have a lot of them (maybe 200-250).

In the meantime, I am desperate for a solution as I have a small free-lance business in which I am dependent on the spreadsheets.

In response to the problem, here is what I've done:

• On Aug. 19, re-installed Office, Home & Student Edition 2008 (twice). No help.

• On Aug. 19, added 2 GB of memory to the computer. No help. Still doesn't open. Now I have 2.5 GB of memory, which should be plenty, I would guess.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?? Do I need to upgrade to Office (the regular version) or does that make any difference?

My demands on the software and computer are not heavy...I am retired and have a small free-lance consultation service, but I am dependent on Excel and have never before experienced anything like this in 25 years of using Microsoft products.

RodC

Reaction score
I had this exact problem problem with Microsoft Excel X for Mac running on a Mac Powerbook G4 Power PC using Mac OS X 10.5.8, and it went away when I trashed 4 of the Excel preferences files I found in the Preferences folder of my user library. Those files were named Excel Keyboard Shortcuts,
Excel Settings (10), Excel Toolbars (10), and Microsoft Excel. When I double-clicked the Excel icon after trashing these 4 files, Excel launched, and all 4 files were recreated. Try that, and if it doesn't work, leave a message here.

Ask a Question