File in use by another application or user

Reaction score
Every time I close a Word document (all Word documents!) I get the error that the "file is in use by another application or user". Then it wants to save changes to the Normal.dom file. I've gone through my computer and deleted all Word temp files. I checked to make sure the Normal.dom file is not read only. I do keep a backup copy of the Normal.dom file in a folder, but this shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Does anyone know how to solve this? Would re-installing Office 16 solve the problem?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your description suggests you're doing something that changes Word's Normal.dotm file in some way. Since you have a backup copy, you might try closing Word, then deleting the existing Normal.dotm file. Word will create a new one when it re-starts. If the problem goes away, something in the old Normal.dotm file was the culprit. If the problem persists, try running Word in safe mode (i.e. hold down the Ctrl key while starting Word). If that resolves the problem, you most likely have a rogue third-party addin. Restart Word, then disable all third-party addins. You can then re-enable them one at a time, existing & restarting Word each time, till you find the culprit. Disable that one again until you can replace it; otherwise delete it.

Reaction score
You were right! Normal.dotm was the culprit. Apparently it became corrupted. I deleted it, let word create a new one and now I'm busy importing my macros and styles. Thanks for your help

Ask a Question