GoBack (Return to Last Edit) command not working in Word 2008

D

danieljhale

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

This concerns the inoperability of the GoBack (a.k.a. Return to Last Edit) command in Word 2008. I recently installed Office 2008 on my MacBook Pro, which is fully up to date; the installation removed the Office 2004 I had on my machine. As an author who's been working with various incarnations of Word for many years, I've become quite dependent on using the GoBack command (command+option+z) after opening my document to take me to the point at which I last worked on the document. GoBack worked flawlessly in Word 2004 - it does not work in Word 2008. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2008. I've tried removing all Microsoft preferences and starting from scratch. I've tried removing then adding back in the keyboard shortcuts. Same result. Interestingly enough, since installing Office 2008, when I open a document that I last saved in Word 2004, the GoBack command works, but only the first time. Once I've saved the older document in Word 2008 (BTW, I'm only saving as .doc, NOT as .docx), GoBack no longer functions. GoBack likewise will not function in documents that I create/save in Word 2008.

C

CyberTaz

Hate to be contradictory, but it sure works flawlessly here - the only
difference is that I'm still in Tiger on this system... But I just confirmed
it on my MBP in 10.5 - no problem there either, docx or doc.

While no Office apps are running locate User/Library/Preferences and remove
the file : com.microsoft.Word.plist then launch Word & see if that makes a
difference.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

D

danieljhale

Thanks, Bob. I'd already tried removing all the Microsoft preferences, but I deleted that .plst file again, just in case. Same result - command+option+z simply does not work on my machine. It's frustrating because, while exploring my options after this problem became (immediately) apparent, I uninstalled Office 2008 and reinstalled Office 2004 - GoBack STILL worked flawlessly in the 2004 incarnation of Word. This is highly frustrating to me, especially with the weird font magnification effect which has been widely reported in Entourage 2008. I'd simply go back to using Office 2004, but Word is how I write my bread and butter. Since Word 2008 is Universal, the lag I'd had to put up with in Word 2004 running in Rosetta has been eliminated - this is a productivity boost for me. There's obviously some conflict somewhere - a conflict you're not experiencing - but I'm on deadline; I don't have the time to figure it out. I'm probably not the only person dealing with this, so I'm hoping they'll report in so Microsoft can eventually track down the problem.

D

danieljhale

Just after writing my previous post, I received this note from Microsoft Office for Mac Technical Support regarding the issue I'm having with the GoBack command:

"We have reproduced the issue on our end in Microsoft Office 2008, meaning that it is something that will need to be addressed more than likely in a patch or an update, barring any additional information. It has already been referred off to our development team."

Phew! I'm hoping they get it worked out soon. Meanwhile, back to the book...

C

CyberTaz

Thanx for posting that reply from MS - it's good to know we aren't *both*
completely bonkers:) This is apparently one of those "iffy" issues that
appears in some situations but not others.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

J

John McGhie

Hi Bob:

I think you're both right :)

In 2008, GoBack (Shift + F5 or Command + Option + z) works while the
document remains open. But the bookmark that drives the mechanism is
deleted if the document is closed.

They've pooched it! In OS 10.4 or later!!

Cheers

Right-o! Thanks, Bob.

--
Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia. S33°53'34.20 E151°14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:[email protected]

Ask a Question