Header changing globally, even with link to previous deactivated.

E

eleceng

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Power PC Having read through this forum, and many others on the net, I have not been able to come up with a solution. My problem is this,

I have created a number of sections within a document, for a thesis, each chapter has its own section. I have de-selected the 'Link to previous' option in all headers. However, when I change the header in one section, it changes the header in all sections. What are the possible causes?

Things to note:
1. My first two sections are a title page, abstract, table of contents, etc. and they do not have headers, they are unaffected by the changes.

2. In order to have continous page numbering across the chapters, the footer is linked to previous so that sequential page numbering is achieved. There is a break and restart of page numbering between the table of contents and body of work.

Thank you in advance for any assitance.

E

eleceng

I think that I did not perhaps make my problem clear enough.

I am trying to create a different header for each section. When I change a header in one section, it updates all sections. This is quite frustrating, as I have unchecked all 'link to previous' selections.

I do not want headers in the first two sections (this has been achieved), but I do want headers in the remainder of the sections (each one different).

Thank you.

E

eleceng

Additionally, I created a style for each heading and updated each section with its own heading style, I think it breifly worked how it should and then changed all section headers to the same thing again.

E

eleceng

John,
I have gone through every header and footer in the document, and there are no 'link to previous' boxes checked. Is there some underlying setting that makes word update each header even when:

1. I have 5 different sections for 5 different chapters and;
2. I have 5 different styles for each heading.

I dont understand why when I change 1 header it changes all the headings, across all the different sections.

I hope this helps your understanding of my problem.

Ask a Question