Horizontal Line Graphic

Reaction score
How can I insert a graphic horizontal line in Word 2013?

This is a classic question of the type “I used to be able to do that, but now I can’t figure out how to in the new version”:

In Word 2007 (under Vista) I could insert a horizontal graphic line nearly anywhere on a page by doing the following:

click ‘Home’ [tab] => click ‘Paragraph’ [group] => click ‘Borders’ [button] => click ‘Borders and Shading…’ [menu item] => [‘Borders and Shading’ dialog box opens] => click 'Borders' [tab] => click ‘Horizontal Line …’ [button lower left] => [‘Horizontal Line’ dialog box opens] => select one of the approximately 75 graphic horizontal lines from the menu.

I now have Word 2013 (under Windows 8.1). In it the ‘Borders and Shading’ dialog box no longer has a ‘Horizontal Line …’ button.

Granted this was probably an obscure feature, but I sure used it a lot, and miss it.

Incidentally, when I open a document created in Word 2007 in Word 2013, graphic horizontal lines appear as expected. When I right-click a line and click on the ‘Borders and Shading…’ menu item, the ‘Borders and Shading…’ dialog box comes up, but under the 'Borders' tab, the ‘Horizontal Line…’ button is missing.

Graphic horizontal lines are entirely different from the horizontal lines produced by holding down the _. -, or = keys and hitting return.

Reaction score
I think i know what you mean... try Tab - Design - Page Borders - (in the dialog choose the first tab) - Borders - Custom - and in the preview click the horizontal line below.
I hope that's the one you are looking for!

Reaction score
Thanks themausman. I appreciate you response. You got me closer to what I am looking for; i.e., down a path I hadn’t tried.

In Word 2013:
Click ‘Home’ [tab] ==> in ‘Paragraph’ group, click down arrow to right of ‘Borders’ [icon] ==> click ‘Horizontal Line’ option [fourth button from bottom]
A gray horizontal line appears across the entire page as a graphic below the cursor’s current location. No menu of horizontal lines appears as in Word 2007. However, minor edits can be applied to that gray horizontal line:
Right click on the horizontal line ==> click on ‘Format Horizontal Line …’ [menu option] ==> [‘Format Horizontal Line’ dialog box opens]
Width, height, color, and alignment can be adjusted, but not (for example) style.
Clicking on the ‘?’ for help in the ‘Format Horizontal Line’ dialog box, brings up “We don't have anything in particular to recommend for what you're doing, but feel free to look around!” Why have a help button if there is none? I’ve been looking around off and on for several months, and flippancy only adds to the frustration.
Work around: I created a file of horizontal line graphics in Word 2007 on my old (cranky but still working) computer and copied it to my new computer as a read-only Word 2013 file. When I need a line I open, copy and paste.
Said file is attached.

Attachments

• Horizontal Lines, Graphic.zip
    62.9 KB · Views: 358

Ask a Question